· Newest Member: cabbar
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » Battle Reports
 Print Thread
Game next week
Just Tony
So on the 29th I will be playing a game against my brother's Lizardmen. My army choices are my High Elves which I have the most models for and the most flexible list, or my Beasts of Chaos army which is built on the Doombull's ability to turn Minotaurs into Core.

So here's the BOC minis I have to date:

Doombull with Axes of Khorgor
Bray Shaman
Wargor with Chaos Armor, shield, and hand weapon
BSB

One stock Beast Herd with 12 2 HW Gors and 8 Ungors
62 of the Halberd/Great Weapon monopose Gor plastics that I use as my Bestigors
26 Minotaurs at last count.

So how many people would go running with this list? More than likely going to be marked Tzeentch or Undivided.

And no, not gonna mix any HOC stuff in.
Edited by Just Tony on 20-08-2015 17:24
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

snyggejygge
The beastmen list looks nice, even though you lack Chaos Hounds.

I dunno what you have in your elf list, but I do know that most elves donīt like skins due to bad armour & low toughness (only cavalry have decent armour).

Just Tony
What I have to pool from for my Elves is thus:

Dragon Rider
Griffon Rider
Four different Wizards, including Teclis
Tyrion (Once I reassemble him)
Two combat characters, one on horseback

3 20 man Spearmen units
2 20 man Archer units
8 Silver Helms
10 Shadow Warriors
2 5 man Reaver units
2 Tiranoc Chariots
20 Swordmasters
2 Great Eagles
4 Bolt Throwers

The last couple times we played, I used the Elves vs. his Dogs of War, I'm kind of wanting to play the BOC. I'm thinking Minotaur units in 2 ranks of 4, so three units. Then the left over unit will be by itself as a three man unit, and the Doombull will be th #8 in one of the other units. Then it comes down to how much Bestigor I want to run vs if I can break up the Beast Herd into two units. Right now I only have 1 command modeled for the faux Bestigors. I'd also love to bump that last Minotaur unit up to the same size as the others, but that would involve finding 5 of the old Talisman Minotaurs by next Friday.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

TinyLegions
Just Tony wrote:

So on the 29th I will be playing a game against my brother's Lizardmen. My army choices are my High Elves which I have the most models for and the most flexible list, or my Beasts of Chaos army which is built on the Doombull's ability to turn Minotaurs into Core.

So here's the BOC minis I have to date:

Doombull with Axes of Khorgor
Bray Shaman
Wargor with Chaos Armor, shield, and hand weapon
BSB

One stock Beast Herd with 12 2 HW Gors and 8 Ungors
62 of the Halberd/Great Weapon monopose Gor plastics that I use as my Bestigors
26 Minotaurs at last count.

So how many people would go running with this list? More than likely going to be marked Tzeentch or Undivided.

And no, not gonna mix any HOC stuff in.

Try it and see how it feels. You may not be able to make it this time, but, if you can find a unit of basic Ogres, you can use them as the Chaos Ogres slot.(my idea for my BOC army some day) Kit bashing some Centigors can look good if you do it right. I think that about any bareback horse may most likely work as you don't need to be of the same scale, along with an appropriate torso and your in the money on that conversion.

Just Tony
Actually I think there was some point made that they didn't have hooves, so I'd use the wolf model for the base, and then just use Gor bodies with some form of spear arm that doesn't look out of place.

Ogres are straight out, though. Why would I run ogres when I have Minotaurs?

TinyLegions
I suppose that you are right. You have plenty of Minotaurs. I don't remember the hooves part however.

Just Tony
I think it was referenced in the 7th Ed. book when they introduced the Centigor character. I'll double check when I get home.

TinyLegions
How did the game go?

Just Tony
It's not the 29th yet, and I've decided that with the models I currently have I won't be able to drop the Beastmen army I want to drop, so I am going High Elves.

Don't worry, I'll have a battle report complete with pics when we play this weekend.

Just Tony
So we decided to make it a 2,250 game with Lizardmen vs. High Elves. The board was 6' x 5', and since my brother forgot to grab the terrain when he got the table from my garage, we had a whopping 0 pieces of terrain to break the game up. Pretty standard sort of Pitched Battle scenario. The Insane Courage and Power Dice rules from 7th were in effect, and we suspended Intrigue at Court because we both felt it was stupid and that removing it did not break the game in any sort of way.

The Lizardmen army consisted of 1 4th Gen Slann, two Saurus Warrior regiments with hand weapon/shield plus standard and musician, one unit of Saurus Warriors with spears and shields plus full command, one unit of Temple Guard with standard and musician, chameleon skinks with champion, two units of Kroxigors, and a Stegadon. Every ranked unit was 16 man set up at 4x4, with the Temple Guard being 12 man to make room for the Slann. Speaking of the Slann, he was the BSB AND General version, had the 3D6 pursuit banner and the one power dice storage item.

The High Elves consisted of a Prince with Pure of Heart, Vambraces of Defence (reroll armor saves, 4+ Ward), Armor of the Gods (Albion item-3+ save, +1 Strength), and great weapon. Two lvl 2 Wizards with Seer (pick spells), and a BSB with the Battle Banner (+D6 Combat resolution). Three 19 man Spearmen with full command, 19 man Swordmasters with Full Command and Banner of Sorcery (D3 Power dice), and 2 20 man Archer units.

The pictures will show how we lined up, and I got first turn. Since I didn't take good notes because we were on a time crunch, here's a condensed and dirty battle report. As I moved forward 5 with anything that couldn't shoot, my magic phase did nothing and I shot a few skinks along with 2 wounds on a Kroxigor.

The Lizardmen sped forward at 8 except for the scouted Chameleon skinks and the Krozigors who advanced 12". The Stegadon moved max distance, and the magic phase began. THIS is where it kinda got wonky. My brother was reading the cheat sheet rules for Steed of Shadows and read that a single model could be flung forward. In the full rules in the book, it was a single independent character model that could be flung. Had we caught that, the Steggie wouldn't have flown charged my archers, and my archers wouldn't have fled. So collapsed my left flank.

On my 2nd turn I failed to rally my archers, and my left Spearmen passed their terror check. I then declared a flank charge on the Kroxigors. I remember taking a fear check after I took my terror check, but my brother couldn't remember me taking it. He took my word for it, and the charge went off. My other combat units moved to within 3" of the Lizards, daring them to charge. The Archers on the right stood firm. Since my left mage was in combat now, I could only cast Drain Magic with him, and with an Irresistible Force result, locked the Slann from any 5's or 6's the next phase. A blast of Khaine's Fury couldn't be dispelled and sent another batch of Skinks to the ground, and Curse was cast on the Skinks. Overkill, I know. Shooting saw the Skinks gone, and as I attacked the Kroxigors, I killed the one that could attack back. One break check later and I pursue into the flank of the other Kroxigors.

The responses in the Lizardmen turn were predictable. I received charges on all three unengaged units in front of the battle line. The Swordmasters took a flank charge as well. Magic saw the flight move powered Stegadon forcing my Archers off of the table, and turning to hit the flanks or rear of the next combat. Also my other Archer unit took damage from a fireball spell. The Swordmasters did not die wholesale, which shocked me, but they did break and were chased down by the Temple Guard. The other regiment passed the restrain test and reformed for an inevitable flank charge. The spear combat closest to where the Slann was ended with the Saurus refusing to run. The spear on spear action, however, went worse as my mage was targeted and killed, and the break check was passed holding the regiments together. Oh, and the Spears on the left flank did just enough to see off the Kroxigors and overrun.

On my 3rd turn I reformed the spears on the far left, and turned my archers so they could target the Saurus regiment waiting to flank. Magic was a non-issue with no mages, and shooting simply took a couple Saurus down. Combat, however, went decidedly differently as the Spears with the BSB saw off the Saurus, running them down. The Spears fighting the spears, however, broke and ran, outrunning the Saurus Spearmen.

Lizardmen charged at the fleeing Spearmen who couldn't outrun the chargers. The Temple Guard came closer to the Archers, and the Saurus with HW moved in behind the Spears with the BSB. It was here that Unseen Lurker sent the regiment flying into the rear of the spearmen regiment. It was during this magic phase we figured out that the Stegadon wasn't able to ride the Steed of Shadows, so it was out of the game for everything except VP. My spears had been charged in the rear and the BSB moved to be in the combat. THIS was pivotal as either this turn or the next wound up with the BSB dying, and the unit eventually winning the combat. However, the next turn had the Archers destroyed by magic AND combat so at the end my two regiments couldn't come close to meeting his points left, leaving me soundly defeated.

On final reflection, we made a resolution to double check the main book when choosing our spells. That, and I'll remember the terrain collection. And less characters.
Just Tony attached the following images:
2908-192626.jpg 2908-201947.jpg 2908-193135.jpg 2908-193037.jpg 2908-192817.jpg

Edited by Just Tony on 02-09-2015 12:01

Just Tony
ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND won't let me attach the pictures

TinyLegions
Let me see what I can do with that.

Just Tony
Well, I DO have a photobucket account, I can see go that way if worse comes to worst.

TinyLegions
Lets see if this works. I had to jack the settings to 500K per attachment for the dwarf book to work. I am going to keep it there for now and see what our space requirements ends up being.
TinyLegions attached the following images:
death-star.jpg 4th-edition-dwarf-army-book.jpg

Edited by TinyLegions on 31-08-2015 21:52

Just Tony
Bam. Pics are up. Scroll to "battle report" post to see the festivities.

tenpole
Yay 6th edition gaming. Good to see the battle report. I@C I insist on. I have animosity so high elves can have I@C.

Just Tony
Your Orcs are also half the cost of my Spearmen, let alone the rest of my army. The rule adds nothing to the list, and caters to people who run the 4 mage cheesefest.

sotek222
sweet game too bad about the spell mishap. Happens quite frequently with my friends who don't read everything like i do.

Thanks,
Matthew Masiello
"Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier.

"Only after you have kissed the fleeting stead of death, wretch!" returned Grignr.

nurglesmom
Awesome battle report, really stirring with the images there as well. Personally I've never seen anyone play HE without I@C, they have so many other things going for them that they can handle that little drawback. I'm all for houseruling annoying stuff though Smile

I'm also intrigued by the fact you fielded 20-man Archer regiments, I've rarely seen them that large. I can imagine that worked out well on a terrain-less battlefield were there is nothing obstructing their fire or maneuvering. Is that a size you field regularly or was it a consideration for how the board turned out?

Just Tony
Well, we also agreed that the Citizen Levy rule from Ravening Hordes should have carried over. If you look at the stats and price of Archers from Ravening Hordes vs. the 6th Edition High Elves book you'll see that they stayed the same cost and lost the rule. But yeah, I tend to run those units on hills, we just forgot the terrain at my house.

I promise the next battle report will actually BE a battle report.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.