· Total Members: 136
· Newest Member: krabboten
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
 Print Thread
New blood
Just Tony
So a soldier at my unit is motivated to get into 40K. He's eyeballing the Tau, and was looking at a few newer boxed sets. Now the issue comes from us playing 3rd predominantly. I'm trying to have him keep in mind what does or doesn't exist in 3rd, and how to basically set his army up with a build that might be a bit more... ubiquitous for all editions. The problem lies in the fact that viable Tau units are DRASTICALLY different between editions. I'm also leaning on basically adopting the 4th Ed. Tau book for 3rd Ed. since not much is really different except a couple units.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

TinyLegions
Good luck in your recruitment, Tony.
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

HidaSeku
Another way to pull off Tau in 3rd edition 40k is to allow Imperial Armour 3. The book is awesome for Tau as is, and may give more flavor/fun than just using the 4th edition Tau book. I find Imperial Armour 3 really fits the 3rd edition "feel" even though technically it's a 4th edition book.

Just Tony
Well, apparently he had his eye on some low auctions for some FW stuff, so if he sinks money into it I'd be willing to accommodate despite my personal feelings about FW stuff.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Kakapo42
Personally 3rd edition + Imperial Armour 3 is my preferred setup for Tau in 3rd/early 4th edition. The only things you really miss out on from the 4th edition codex are Vespid, Sinper Drones and the special issue battlesuit weapons and support systems, especially if you also allow the Chapter Approved rules for rail rifles, and you get a bunch of extra Forgeworld units (including extra Kroot units) in exchange.

I understand having reservations given the reputation Forgeworld stuff has, but aside from the aircraft most of the Tau stuff seems pretty tame to me. The Drone Sentry Turrets, variant Hammerhead weapons and Heavy Gun Drones are all more characterful gimmicks than anything, and all three compete with railgun armed units for Force Organisation slots. The most competitive options I can see in it are Piranhas and Skyrays (which are mostly the same as they are in the 4th edition codex) and Tetras (which are far from game-breaking).

I also strongly recommend that he magnetises weapon options if possible (pinning them works too). Crisis Suits in particular are generally consistently useful across editions, but the optimal weapons loadouts change in different editions. Thus, magnetising will go a long way to keeping his army effective in any edition.
Death to metaplots!
Naked Metal - my very own hobby blog. Go on, give it a visit, don't be shy!

Just Tony
Bear in mind he also doesn't have a very big budget for getting into the game, and is working within those criteria. I figure he can ebay up a bunch of Fire Warriors and a few of the supporting units on the cheap, but even aftermarket the Forgeworld stuff isn't cheap.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.