· Newest Member: QMarcoPoloXTR
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » 6th Edition
 Print Thread
Orion and Wild Riders
HidaSeku
Quick question: Can Orion join a unit of Wild Riders?

One of the pictures show him in the middle of a unit, and I can't find any 6th edition rule about Unbreakable unable to join Unbreakable like there is in 7th edition. So, it is possible?

I assume the unit would not become unbreakable. However, if he's allowed to join, would he still take wounds for essence fading in close combat?

My answers: Yes and Yes. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Just Tony
I'm gonna say it was addressed in one of Gav Thorpe's Warhammer Chronicles articles, and I'm pretty sure it was the one about characters, the first one in Warhammer Annual 2002. That's the one book that's not in that sticky thread in General Discussion.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Geep
I'm pretty sure he had the option of joining units, as long as he had no hounds.

Sadly, despite my love of Wood Elves and the fact that Orion was one of my first-owned and favourite character models, I've always found him terrible in-game. He's a fast, overpriced bolt thrower, with neither the hitting power or toughness that should go with a model of his points (and power). He always seemed to suffer from some weird rules issues too- for example, I think in 6th his magical spear doesn't benefit him at all in close combat, and in 8th he crumbles to resolution, which was a terrible idea!

Kakapo42
Geep wrote:

I'm pretty sure he had the option of joining units, as long as he had no hounds.

Sadly, despite my love of Wood Elves and the fact that Orion was one of my first-owned and favourite character models, I've always found him terrible in-game. He's a fast, overpriced bolt thrower, with neither the hitting power or toughness that should go with a model of his points (and power). He always seemed to suffer from some weird rules issues too- for example, I think in 6th his magical spear doesn't benefit him at all in close combat, and in 8th he crumbles to resolution, which was a terrible idea!

I just checked and it's actually the other way around - he can't use his spear in close combat in the 8th edition version, and has the crumbling rule in 6th.

He can indeed join units if he is not accompanied by hounds.
Death to metaplots!
Naked Metal - my very own hobby blog. Go on, give it a visit, don't be shy!

Geep
Huh, thanks for the correction! I guess that shows how useful I found him in both editions Pfft

I always wanted them to bring Ariel back. I was considering doing a conversion of the new Alarielle, but her price is insane and she'd need so much work I hope to one day find a better base mini.

HidaSeku
Good to know about Orion. I want him in a unit of Wild Riders purely for the aesthetic, and spend the rest of the list's points trying to make it work Cool

I always wanted rules for Ariel as well. I think the model is good for the era it was released, and would have loved to see her in the field.

Geep
I really liked the Ariel model, and was quite proud of my painting (though that was my early days!). I found her great in games, but in hindsight I really underutilised her. Being able to drop a forest around her is much more powerful than I ever realised at the time- same as the old Acorn magic item from the WD Wood Elf army list.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.