· Newest Member: QMarcoPoloXTR
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » Battle Reports
 Print Thread
Wood Elves vs. ???
DoomGate
So its been a long time since me or foggynight has posted anything. So I decided to start getting back into playing and posting games for you guys. So we both picked armies secretly and will reveal them once we set up the board. I have not made my army yet I am about to do that right now. I am unsure if foggynight will post his army or his point of view, if he doesn't then I will post his army list afterwards. It is a small 1,000 point game, we will be getting into bigger games later.

Hope you guys enjoy!
Edited by DoomGate on 26-09-2017 18:03
When my Warp Lightning Cannon rolls a misfire and shoots through my hole army I consider that a successful hit. I mean who needed those clan rats anyways.

DoomGate
Ok so my army is as follows...

Wood Elf Noble
Battle Standard: The Royal Standard of Ariel (Unit causes fear, all friendly units within 12" of this banner receives Magic Resistance 1).

Glade Guard*11

Glade Guard*11

Glade Guard*5
Scouts

Glade Guard*5
Scouts

Eternal guard*20
Command, Gaemrath-the banner of midwinter(Declare at the beginning of the declare charge phase, the unit cannot move or march but the unit becomes Unbreakable until the start of the next players turn, cannot be used if fleeing).

Great Eagle

Total: 994 points
When my Warp Lightning Cannon rolls a misfire and shoots through my hole army I consider that a successful hit. I mean who needed those clan rats anyways.

Just Tony
If he manages to have three 20 man ranked up units, you may be in for a go. It might be in your best interest to have (Jesus, I can't believe I'm about to say this...) some fast cavalry as a flanking force. The Eagle will do decently with march blocking, but with only one mainstay unit you may need to have more deflectors.

Also, as a BSB cannot be the army's general, shouldn't you have at least one other character?
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Geep
I also question the character issue. I really can't remember how that gets resolved- is a unit champ the general? I remember there is a rule for it, but I think by 1000pts you're expected to have a Hero general.

Adding a hero with the Hail of Doom Arrow can be pretty nasty in small games- aim to delete one of their support units.

I've never been keen on 6th ed Scouts- losing the special longbow for +5 pts, even if you do gain skirmish and special deployment, has never seemed worth it to me. I would probably swap these out for either Glade Riders or Dryads- Dryads probably being a safer bet, as you already have a fairly decent amount of shooting, even if they can't disrupt ranks.

I'd also reconsider your magic item points, unless you're restricted in models. Those two banners are a lot of points- I'd rather take more models.

Whatever you decide, I look forward to the game report!

DoomGate
Good thoughts, and yes ill have to either take the banner away from my hero or take another one to be the general (my mistake, I forgot). So what i am thinking is taking out is the expensive banner on my hero (maybe replace it with a magic item). And I think I will keep my scouts, but shave off some points for some fast cavalry. Then against a block army I should be set. He said he army was a "Shooty" army. So what I think he is playing is either Empire, Tomb Kings, High Elves. I will post my new army list sometime today after I figure it out. Thanks for your guys's input!

DoomGate
New and improved army list...

Wood Elf Noble
Hail of Doom Arrow (One use, when shot arrow splits into 3d6 magical str 4 arrows)
Merciw's Locus (The bearer receives no Strenght bonuses from magical or mundane weapons, however any model who strikes the bearer also receive no strength bounus from magical or mundane weapons)
Elven Steed, Light Armour

Glade Guard*10

Glade Guard*10

Glade Guard*5
Scouts

Glade Guard*5
Scouts

Eternal Guard*20
Command

Great Eagle

Glade riders*6
Command

Total- 999 points

I looked at the Hail of Doom Arrow that Geep was talking about and I NEEDED it in my army, that thing is awesome. I threw in the Dragontooth Arrows just in case there was some big monster with low leadership that I didn't want to deal with the rest of the game. I also took out the banner from the Eternal Guard because I found it not really worth the points for what I wanted to do. Then I added the 6 man unit of Glade riders to be my unit to flank to take out rank bonus so I can try to get more things to run. I kept the scouts because whenever I have a block army and a 5 man squad of retards are behind me, I would have take about 2-3 turns to turn around and kill them then I can get back into the real fight or be delayed a turn or so because of slower movement. If I do it just right I can make one or two of his block units be delayed for a couple turn allowing my shooting to whittle them down even more. I feel like if i am up against a block army then I should be able to win, against another skirmishing or fast army I will have a bit more of a problem. But thats all yet to be decided.
Edited by DoomGate on 28-09-2017 18:25

Just Tony
Unless the WE book has an exception listed with the magic items, only one magic item of any type (Weapon, Armor, Enchanted, Arcane, Banner) can be taken by a single model.

I swear I am not trying to rain on your list constantly, and if you and Foggy are fine with it, run with it.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Geep
Just Tony has a good point, but regardless I always found the specialty arrows to be disappointing. 1 shot likely to hit, but then wounding on 6's and usually against a 4+ or better save- you may get lucky and it may be awesome, or it may do nothing all game.

Also just a warning on the hail of doom arrow- the 3 dice to generate arrow numbers seems to generate triple 1's about 50% of the time for me Pfft But when it works well it is awesome.

Why does it take you 2-3 turns to deal with an enemy behind you? In 6th/7th ed it takes a quarter of your move to do a 'turn', which can be a full 180 degree rotation. Unlike a reform, you can still shoot too. Anyone thinking they're safe behind a block of Wood Elf archers is not very clever...

Just Tony
I was always shocked at how many people just didn't "get" the facing moves. Turn moves, whatever you want to call them. In the Army, it is a facing movement. So, "About Face" would be the command to pivot 180 degrees. And yes, more than a few scouts were sent to Oblivion using that tactic.

DoomGate
Yes the 180 degree turn is a problem but it will take up half of their move, and I will be about 9" away from them (if I remember scout rules correctly) so then they wont be able to charge me (unless he is Tomb Kings with the incantations or he has other spells/item that give a free charge) or they would shoot me with a -1 to hit because they moved. Either way they are a turn or two behind the rest of the army giving me more turns to shoot them.

As for the double Enchanted Items i have we checked the rule book and yes I cannot have more than one. The only real exception to this rule is Scrolls. It just seemed logical to me that I could have different kinds of arrows on me, a one use one and one I could use the whole game.

I do like you guys correcting me and giving me feedback on my army. When jumping in between 16 or so army's, its kind of hard to remember everything about the rules of each army and the Rule-book's rules.

I am just going to change the dragontooth arrows to some other magic item (Ill just edit my latest army list, I also forgot to say that the Wood Elf Noble was on a Elven steed and had light armour).
Edited by DoomGate on 28-09-2017 18:26

DoomGate
So I know it has been quite awhile, but we have moved and finally got a chance to play this game.

i.imgur.com/GsCTmgh.jpg

This is my POV. I am in kind of a pickle, he has big blocky army and I don't know if I can weaken his army enough when he gets to me. Also, my scouts are in the top left hand corner.

Foggy's POV

i.imgur.com/iskUaR3.jpg

Now one thing that you can't see is a warlock engineer under the building to the right of the warp lightning cannon.

Now as far as what i'm going to do... i'm a little lost, but I do want to kill the warlock and the warp lightning cannon as soon as I can. For now I can whittle down the rest of his army with shooting.
Edited by DoomGate on 17-11-2017 16:14

DoomGate
Turn 1
i.imgur.com/bylhfTc.jpg
i.imgur.com/FMnyLPb.jpg

So pretty much he moved forward. My left flank advanced. And I shot and used the Hail of Doom Arrow and made his clan rat unit flee.

Just Tony
MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.