· Newest Member: Tylossu
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » 6th Edition
 Print Thread
Army building exercise - all are welcome
Just Tony
So a member on dakkadakka has recently decided to dive into 6th Edition, and has the starter sets from 6th, 7th, and 8th along with some Battalion boxed sets that he is peddling advice for army list ideas/opinions. This was especially challenging as his current set up is that all armies are roughly the size of the Battalions or starter set forces, 700 points roundabout for those following, and based solely off of the Ravening Hordes army lists.

Now, I've already had some input over there, but I figured it'd be a fun exercise to try to pull this off, so I'm starting a thread here to collect all our thoughts on this subject.

Without further ado, here are the rules for this thread:

Create a fluffy yet playable army list using the Ravening Hordes army lists (check the "Hope I don't get banned.." thread in Warhammer General on this site to find a copy in the OneDrive link) built around the starter set forces and Battalion boxed sets with some add ons (Heroes, most likely) and ballpark around 700 points.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Geep
Are we allowed to include conversions?
Are we covering all armies involved (Brets, Lizardmen, Orcs and Goblins, Empire, Dwarfs) and can we double up on units anywhere (eg. if we have one army's units counting as Dogs of War in another list?

I'll give this ago, but won't have time until at least the coming weekend.

Just Tony
Whatever conversions you can make from the boxed sets are allowed.

If a legal army can't be made from a battalion or Edition ruleset box, then some models will have to be added.

As far as duplicate unit, the Battle For Skull Pass Night Goblins kind of set that precedent.

Give me a few minutes to get to a lull here at work, and I'll start a couple for the High Elves.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Just Tony
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it looks like the person I was referencing has now decided to hit 1,000 points which kind of lessens the impact of this thread.

Oh, well. NEW REQUIREMENTS!!!!!

1,000 points based off of Battalions and Starter sets. Go.

Geep
A full 1000pts is a bit harder.

This isn't exactly themed, but here's one for Orcs and Goblins from the 6th and 7th box sets.

Orc Big Boss, 97 pts
Light Armour, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might

Night Goblin Big Boss, 34 pts
Light Armour, Shield

Night Goblin Shaman, 85 pts
Level 2

18 Orc Warriors, 146 pts
Two Hand Weapons, Standard, Musician

12 Orc Warriors, 108 pts
Bows

24 Night Goblins, 177 pts
Spears, Shields, Full Command
3 Fanatics

24 Night Goblins, 177 pts
Spears, Shields, Full Command
3 Fanatics

5 Wolf Riders (Spider Riders), 95 pts
Spears, Shields, Short Bows

1 Orc Boar Chariot, 80 pts

Total: 999pts

The Fanatics can be converted from the 7th ed Night Goblin Archers. The same models can also be converted into Netters (letting the Goblin units go above 20), though the Ravening Hordes list doesn't have Netter rules.

Just Tony
So here's my go at a High Elf list from Island of Blood and the Battalion set that came with the Repeater Bolt Thrower. The only real theme is pulling from those sets.

125 - Hero: Mage (Level 2)
150 - Core: Archers (10) - Full Command
206 - Core: Spearmen (16) - Heavy Armor, Full Command
110 - Core: Lothern Sea Guard (10) - Heavy Armor, Full Command
155 - Special: Ellyrian Reavers (5) - Bows, Full Command
150 - Special: Swordmasters (10) - Full Command
100 - Rare: Repeater Bolt Thrower

996 - Total

This army has a pretty impressive footprint for being Elves at that point level. I made sure to throw Command in everything as that's one of the tendencies the OP from the other forum had.

This one was easy, and I could get to 700 pretty easy from there, honestly.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.