Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
 Print Thread
Insane e-bay auctions
TinyLegions
Normally I don't do this, but this is insane:
https://www.ebay....SwOSpe6YCa

They have a day and 6 hours left and they are bidding 200 dollars on a beat up Goblin Regiment. That is 10 dollars per model. At that rate I am sure that we are all millionaires. If either one of you two who are bidding this up are on here, Shame on you!
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

Just Tony
Are you kidding? I find it hard to pay more than $20 for that regiment. Someone has flat out popped their damn cork on that one.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

jonathan e
I shouldn't exactly be surprised at this - geek culture has always had that streak of seeing toys as "investments" and demand plus scarcity equals a seller's market - but it still rattles my cage every time I see some cheeky bugger who had the spare change to buy tons of figures THEN thinking they can pay the mortgage with them NOW.

Not to get all class warfare on main but you've added no value to the figures if you've just bunged them in the loft forever and if you've just slapped them together you've devalued them, if anything. I'm not having a go at commission-quality painters (they deserve paying for their time and effort) or the handful of folks who've made a proper day job out of cataloguing old figures and flipping them (again, that's time and work that should be paid for): it's the hoarder grift that I can't stand.

This is basically why I buy third party stuff over and above auctions, apart from the odd figure to complete a period collection. At least I know I'm paying someone's wages that way.
Warhammer transmissions at Malediction Games

OG sixth edition: 20 / 6 / 21
comeback tour: 5 / 0 / 4

https://maledicton.games
Just Tony
Eh, patience is your friend. My brother recently scored a BUNCH of Skaven for less than $1 a model, and also stumbled onto an auction that had 20 of the BFSP Slayers in one regiment for $40. Deals can be had, one just has to sift through the BINs and not kneejerk hit the first sale that comes along.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

jonathan e
You propose an elegant solution to a different problem. I think you read "waaa waaa I can't afford anything on eBay", not "god, the brass neck on some people!" and those aren't the same complaint. I've found some good stuff at reasonable prices too - doesn't mean the grift doesn't wind me up.

But since there's no substantive reason for me to be a Citadel purist (again, barring things like wanting to complete a kit with bits missing), I sidestep the whole situation in favour of something that suits my ideology. Plenty of companies saw the gap in the market and made offbrand Tomb Kings, I see merit in buying 'em.
Warhammer transmissions at Malediction Games

OG sixth edition: 20 / 6 / 21
comeback tour: 5 / 0 / 4

https://maledicton.games
Just Tony
jonathan e wrote:

You propose an elegant solution to a different problem. I think you read "waaa waaa I can't afford anything on eBay", not "god, the brass neck on some people!" and those aren't the same complaint. I've found some good stuff at reasonable prices too - doesn't mean the grift doesn't wind me up.

But since there's no substantive reason for me to be a Citadel purist (again, barring things like wanting to complete a kit with bits missing), I sidestep the whole situation in favour of something that suits my ideology. Plenty of companies saw the gap in the market and made offbrand Tomb Kings, I see merit in buying 'em.

I collect Transformers as well as Warhammer stuffs. If ANYONE can appreciate rightly generating vitriol at soulless scalpers and the rockheads that enable them, it's me.

TinyLegions
It appears that I did not originally answer this thread from earlier. While I would like more variety in this set, a perennial wish no doubt, I do find it to be a sold set. I have been able to make a few conversions on these to make them more interesting of a set. If I ever find any goblin models to compliment this set, I certainly would include them into my collection, which is already absurdly extensive. I would certainly like to see some new compatible torso's and legs, but I have no expectations other than making them myself.

My shaming of these two fools were because I thought that they were foolish enough to bid this up to the absurd levels that it ended up to be. I don't believe that this is the general trend, but looking at other markets in the world that are a lot more important and serious than little pieces of plastic, my skepticism has been on heighten alert for a while. Incidentally JT proved to be right, I found about 40 goblins worth of loose spruces from someone a few months later for a lot cheaper than what these bozo's were buying, so perhaps this was just an outlier of foolishness. Either way these days I am evaluating more and more of my collection and figuring out what I need in order to finish up this block or that block of my armies. I think that I am where I need to be with my goblins, but we will see when I get them all put together.
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.