· Newest Member: AnomanderRake
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » 6th Edition
 Print Thread
Question about Goblin Doom Divers
MattyFenby
The rules for Goblin Doom Divers says you don't use the 3 inch template, its just that if he hits he hits, but we don't own that model.

How big is his "Hit box radius" supposed to be? We are using a standard sized dice right now to represent where he hits. Is this too small?

As always thank you guys a ton for all your friendly advice and expertise.

Just Tony
It looks like the size of the marker doesn't matter as it's a hit or miss with no template. My interpretation is the exact point is what you go by, and that there really is no "hit box radius" so as long as you and your opponent agree to what is a hit you should be okay no matter how you mark the impact. I'd use a round 25mm base with either a Greenskin shield boss or decal.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

MattyFenby
It's just SO easy to miss with an infinitely small marker. I know the doom diver is only 80 pts but in our last battle I almost exactly correctly guessed the range twice, got an "on target" result twice, and both times since we were using a dice it was just riiiiiiight in between all his units.

It made me question if there was a flying-model-base-size we were supposed to use or something like the "fallen-giant" cut-out rather than the 3" template that they say not to use.

I guess I just need to suck it up and expect to get what you get for 80 pts. On the one turn it managed to hit something (on a 10" scatter roll somehow) it did finish off a half health Hydra so for the pts it still did something.

Thank you for reading this and giving some input, I appreciate the expertise.

TinyLegions
Just Tony wrote:

It looks like the size of the marker doesn't matter as it's a hit or miss with no template. My interpretation is the exact point is what you go by, and that there really is no "hit box radius" so as long as you and your opponent agree to what is a hit you should be okay no matter how you mark the impact. I'd use a round 25mm base with either a Greenskin shield boss or decal.

I concur with JT right here. We used to use a die or something similar is size whenever I got hit by them, so a goblin shield would be perfect.(may steal that for my own doom diver) The only thing that you have to worry about is whether you fear being off by a fraction of an inch, and in which case the smaller the better, but be reasonable and not use something like a pin head.(again going back to the shield idea)
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

Just Tony
MattyFenby wrote:

It's just SO easy to miss with an infinitely small marker. I know the doom diver is only 80 pts but in our last battle I almost exactly correctly guessed the range twice, got an "on target" result twice, and both times since we were using a dice it was just riiiiiiight in between all his units.

It made me question if there was a flying-model-base-size we were supposed to use or something like the "fallen-giant" cut-out rather than the 3" template that they say not to use.

I guess I just need to suck it up and expect to get what you get for 80 pts. On the one turn it managed to hit something (on a 10" scatter roll somehow) it did finish off a half health Hydra so for the pts it still did something.

Thank you for reading this and giving some input, I appreciate the expertise.

Just me, but I'm under the impression that the intent was to NOT try to hit multiple units in one shot.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

MattyFenby
I may have said that in a confusing way.

I wasn't trying to hit multiple units, he just happened to have 3 or 4 units within a few inches of each other, so I figured aiming right in between them was smart for scatter rolls, I figured I'd be bound to hit something, even with a pin. 1st scatter roll both times were like 8 and 10 results, way off. Both times on the doom diver re-roll I got an "on target" result but the dice was sitting RIGHT there in between his units.

Finally, my only actual hit came when my original roll was (again) a 10" scatter brought the diver away from the group of units and onto his Hydra almost a foot away.

But like I said, I know that greenskins are the random army and I know that an investment of 80 points that got half the VP of a 220 pt hydra is still nothing to complain about. I was just so proud of perfectly guessing the range, guys. They were insanely good guesses from very far away.
It was a little weird rolling pretty much all 8s, 10s, and "on targets." Not sure what the odds of that were but it would have been key for me to roll a 2 in there somewhere. And I will say I didn't get any misfires so there's that.
Edited by MattyFenby on 03-11-2020 11:37

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox