· Total Members: 265
· Newest Member: rvb
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
 Print Thread
Crimson Fists Retconned?
TinyLegions
I was going through some of the lore with my beloved Crimson Fists, and noticed a few inconsistencies mainly dealing with what was left of the chapter in New Rynn City. Hopefully someone could clear up what the original story was.

If you read from "Rynn's World," Cantor and what was left of the chapter got to the city where there was about 260 marines stationed there,(you can tell that they did not proofread this book as there are two figures cited one for 388 and one for 288, that or Pedro lost 100 marines in 18 months, which seems like a lot as protected as they were supposed to be in the book) and was besieged until the Imperial Navy arrived with reinforcements 18 months later. Pedro then assaulted the space port to make a beach head for the landers, and ended up with a little more than a company of marines left to his chapter, and Snagrod got away. That makes for one very competent Ork warlord to keep so much in line for so long, even after assassinating 100 lieutenants. This rivals the Armageddon campaigns, but should it?

However, reading "Planetfall" there is a completely different story involved there. Similar back story with Pedro of course, but the story at New Rynn's city is different. There are about 400 marines in the city and they end up in a city assault mega battle. They have what looks like two and a half companies worth plus about half of a company of veterans and scouts.

The 5th edition army book is different and yet nebulous. Same backstory with Pedro, but he arrived just ahead of the Orks, and the city became a fortified base of operations under his leadership. The 18 months is the same but no mention of the IN or any relief for them. Snagrod is presumed to be killed, but no mention. Likewise you have the story of Traitor's Gorge where Pedro almost died Ork hunting in the mountains without any support from his own or other chapters six months after the siege was lifted. If "Rynn's World" can be believed, why were they unsupported in Traitor's Gorge, and why go at all when you have such a depleted chapter as mentioned in the book, when you have plenty of support from other chapters? That should have been a job that the dozen chapters and IG regiments that came as reinforcements should have done while they were there.

I have no way to cite this, but I remember reading somewhere a story where I think that the 4th company that was supposed to assault Badlandings was lost and presumed destroyed, only to return in the nick of time for Pedro.

There is a lot of conflicting lore on this which is something that I would like to clear up if at all possible. The retconning and additions to fit the current narrative from Nottingham should be expected from me, but it still gets under my skin when it happens for some reason. Does anyone have any insight on this? A different, older source than what I have already cited would also be nice as well.
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

Just Tony
The novel is a train wreck, the author couldn't even keep track of two named characters with regards to who was killed when and how.

And Traitor's Gorge? That's just Matt Ward being Matt Ward. I recently gave that codex away in disgust.

The best account I've seen so far was the Index Astartes one that ran in White Dwarf.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

jonathan e
For me the smart money is on the writeup in White Dwarf 235. Short, succinct, Chambers wrote it, perfick.
Warhammer transmissions at Malediction Games

VC original run: 20 / 6 / 21
VC comeback tour: 5 / 0 / 4
WE fresh start: -/-/-

https://maledicton.games
Just Tony
Bonus points that the issue came with Codex: Assassins...
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

TinyLegions
Just Tony wrote:

The novel is a train wreck, the author couldn't even keep track of two named characters with regards to who was killed when and how.

And Traitor's Gorge? That's just Matt Ward being Matt Ward. I recently gave that codex away in disgust.

The best account I've seen so far was the Index Astartes one that ran in White Dwarf.

I think that I know the article that you are mentioning in WD, it was in issue two eighty something. I will look that one up again. Let me put it this way in regards to the novel. I would have written the book differently.
Your Benevolent dictator

TinyLegions
jonathan e wrote:

For me the smart money is on the writeup in White Dwarf 235. Short, succinct, Chambers wrote it, perfick.

Ill see if I can find that issue.
Your Benevolent dictator

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll