Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » General Discussion
 Print Thread
Khorne Knight Armies and other boogeyman army lists
rvb
How about Skaven army of Doom?

1x Seer, 3x Warplock, 4x Clanrats with ratling gun, 4x Jezzails, 2x Warplight cannon?

Is worse than Chaos, right?
I can see how Khorne Chaos are beaten, but all out Skaven?

Just Tony
Eh, gimmicky lists always have downfalls. Magic doesn't always get successfully cast, and can be dispelled if it IS cast. While the shooting looks rather impressive, the most reliable bit is the cannon as modifiers will keep Jezzails less than optimal while Ratling Guns have their own inbuilt dangers. Also bear in mind that any player knowing what is capable of what will also know what best to thump or shoot.

As an aside, the most a Warp Lightning Cannon can kill per 20 man unit is 5. Not nearly as scary as all that.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

rvb
I can definitely see this list getting smattered by true horde armies.

Just Tony
This is a tailored list, I doubt your partner is gonna run horde TK
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

jonathan e
rvb wrote:

1x Seer, 3x Warplock, 4x Clanrats with ratling gun, 4x Jezzails, 2x Warplight cannon?

The shooting seems on par with Dwarfs apart from all the bullets being magical (that's a bugaboo of mine, as a devotee of the large Spirit Host, but unlike Thunderers the Ratlers blow up half the time, and in my experience the Warp Lightning Cannon is too inconsistent to be worth stressing about).

The magic phase makes my stomach turn over though. To this day I have to tailor into even a fairly tame Skaven army with two Warlocks and a Seer: I stuck with Sylvanians for so long because Magic Resistance on all my block troops felt basically mandatory to get through the first two or three turns, and when I go outside Sylvania I find myself reaching for alternative talismans and banners so I have some extra dice to churn in.

(It should be noted that I generally refuse to take more than one Dispel Scroll. Scroll caddies and photocopy specials are the dance partner of the eighteen power dice special and they Riverdance the otherwise rather elegant sixth edition magic system into the floor. My Tomb Kings are the exception as I have no idea what to equip the other two Liche Priests with, the models are identical and purely functional, and taking a bag of scrolls is at least on brand for them...)
Warhammer transmissions at Malediction Games

VC original run: 20 / 6 / 21
VC comeback tour: 5 / 0 / 4
WE fresh start: -/-/-

https://maledicton.games
TinyLegions
jonathan e wrote:

rvb wrote:

The shooting seems on par with Dwarfs apart from all the bullets being magical (that's a bugaboo of mine, as a devotee of the large Spirit Host, but unlike Thunderers the Ratlers blow up half the time, and in my experience the Warp Lightning Cannon is too inconsistent to be worth stressing about).

The magic phase makes my stomach turn over though. To this day I have to tailor into even a fairly tame Skaven army with two Warlocks and a Seer: I stuck with Sylvanians for so long because Magic Resistance on all my block troops felt basically mandatory to get through the first two or three turns, and when I go outside Sylvania I find myself reaching for alternative talismans and banners so I have some extra dice to churn in.

(It should be noted that I generally refuse to take more than one Dispel Scroll. Scroll caddies and photocopy specials are the dance partner of the eighteen power dice special and they Riverdance the otherwise rather elegant sixth edition magic system into the floor. My Tomb Kings are the exception as I have no idea what to equip the other two Liche Priests with, the models are identical and purely functional, and taking a bag of scrolls is at least on brand for them...)

The Riverdance line made me chuckle.
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

MattyFenby
Can we talk about a Grimgor-led 'Ardboyz List?

1. (i'm thinking of that meme where hes looking at a bird and asking "is this a Boogeyman List?" ) Would this be able to be tuned into a power list at 2500 Points?

2. Are there reliable ways to bring down an 'Ardboyz List, even one thats been pruned into the most efficient it can be?

3. I would like to cheat for the purposes of this thought experiment by adding one more option to the 'Ardboyz Rare Choices: Oglah Khan's Wolf Boyz (we have some sweet LoTR wolf riders that look hobgoblin-y and Oglah will be the merc unit with Grimgor in our Campaign instead of Ruglud)

4. IF POSSIBLE can we make this designed to kill, say, oh I don't know, my buddy's Wood Elves army?

This is what I have so far:

LORDS (0-1)

Grimgor. 400 Points.

HEROES (0-3)

Black Orc Big Boss. This is the Battle Standard Bearer. Mounted on a Boar. Magic Standard: The Night Banner (-1 to hit when shooting at this Unit). Heavy Armour. 140 Points.

[The Black Orc Big Boss occupies a 2nd Hero Slot since he is Mounted]

Orc Shaman LVL 2. Talisman of Protection (6+ Ward Save). 115 Points.

CORE (3+)

Grimgor's Bodyguard x 19. 330 Points.

Black Orc Regiment x 25. Addt'l Choppas, Shields. Nogg's Banner of Butchery (One Use Only, +1A every model in the Unit). 383 Points.

Orc Boyz (Big Uns) x 24. Spears and Shields. Guff's Flag (re-roll first failed Panic). 293 Points.

Orc Boyz (Big Uns) x 25. Spears and Shields. Standard Bearer, Musician.

Boar Boyz (Big Uns) x 9. Champion & Musician. 222 Points.

SPECIAL (0-4)

Goblin Spear Chukka w/ Bully x 4. 160 Points.

RARE (0-2)

Effigy of Gork. Free with Grimgor as General.

**Oglah Khan's Wolf Boyz x 6. 190 Points.

TOTAL: 2498 Points

**I know this is cheating but we are trading out Ruglud for Oglah as the Rare option

Could this or something similar to this work as a Power List or are there reliable ways to overcome this army?

jonathan e
With the caveat that I have played exactly two games with the Orcs and Goblins, enough to discover that I don't enjoy them:

There are things I'd chop and change in that list simply to tune it up and achieve street-legal beard status - are you powergaming without even one Dispel Scroll? And, if it's possible, I'd move Nogg's Banner onto the Boarboyz, where it addresses one of their key weaknesses (their modest output of raw Attacks).

On the whole, while this is tuned for a Greenskin army (taking out as much of the lolrandom as physically possible, good shout) I'm still not terrified of it. M4 melee infantry don't have the speed or the clout to dictate the game in my experience (it's a different story if they're delivering weapon teams, bunkering wizards and otherwise projecting threat), and most of the army's made up of those. You've done a good job of insuring against Panic, but there's no real bulwark against Fear or Terror that I can see unless there's something in the 'Ardboyz rules that escapes my memory.

I think it'll give a good standup fight to an army that wants to give it one, but it still has some hard counters in the form of heavy magic, mobility and psychology. This is a rock. Pray it faces scissors.

MattyFenby
Thanks for that assessment.

I think you're dead on about making the Shaman a Dispel Caddy and getting a little more speed into the mix.

However, I also am selfishly making this as an army to beat the one opponent I always face who will be brining a Wood Elves army (which I'm hoping are kind of scissor-like for how I've made my rock.)

So I think the answer to my question of "Can you make Grimgor's 'Ardboyz into a legit Power List" might be: "ehhh, itll be really tough in 6th Edition since 1. Grimgor isn't Immune to Psych yet back then, 2. At 2500 Pts you will only ever be able to bring ONE Shaman, capped at LVL 2, and 3. we're already cheating just to get those Fast Cavalry on the board..."

So now what?

Basically I am looking to turn this into the most powerful list I can to face an Orion-led Wood Elves army in the fall. Would it be able to get the job done, knowing that he himself won't have access to anything more than the Lore of Athel Loren with Lvl 2 Spellspingers? and with 4 Spear Chukkas ready to target Terror-Causing Treemen, and with the Night Banner on one unit of Boar Boyz Big Uns for protection against the 30 likely Glade Guard he will field (although they'll be Special Slots now)? Then I'll add another Boar Boyz Big Uns unit and transfer the Banner of Butchery to them. Both of those units will be delivering a ton of Str 5 attacks anytime they land a charge with the Boars benefitting from the Tusker Charge rule.

MY SECOND DRAFT -- More of an Anti-Asrai List than a Power List Attempt

LORDS (0-1)

Grimgor. 400 Points.

HEROES (0-3)

Black Orc Big Boss. This is the Battle Standard Bearer. Mounted on a Boar. Magic Standard: The Night Banner (-1 to hit when shooting at this Unit). Heavy Armour. 140 Points.

[The Black Orc Big Boss occupies a 2nd Hero Slot since he is Mounted]

Orc Shaman LVL 2. Talisman of Protection (6+ Ward Save). 115 Points.

CORE (3+)

Grimgor's Bodyguard x 19. 330 Points.

Black Orc Regiment x 25. Addt'l Choppas, Shields. Full Command. 358 Points.

Orc Boyz (Big Uns) x 24. Spears and Shields. Guff's Flag (re-roll first failed Panic). 293 Points.

Boar Boyz (Big Uns) x 10. Full Command. Magic Standard: Nogg's Banner of Butchery (One Use Only, +1A every model in the Unit). 283 Points.

Boar Boyz (Big Uns) x 9. Champion & Musician. 222 Points.

SPECIAL (0-4)

Goblin Spear Chukka w/ Bully x 4. 160 Points.

RARE (0-2)

Effigy of Gork. Free with Grimgor as General.

**Oglah Khan's Wolf Boyz x 6. 190 Points.

TOTAL: 2491 Points

**I know this is cheating but we are trading out Ruglud for Oglah as the Rare option
Edited by MattyFenby on 02-03-2021 18:51

Just Tony
What's the point of the 6+ Ward on the Shaman? You'd be better served shaving that off as well as taking those 25 man regiments down to 20 and paying for the 2 scrolls.

Other than that, solid list. The most egregious part is that the Effigy affects lots of units and is free. Past that, you have to wonder if you might actually be outnumbered by Wood Elves, which is a puzzling scenario...

jonathan e
Just Tony wrote:

What's the point of the 6+ Ward on the Shaman? You'd be better served shaving that off as well as taking those 25 man regiments down to 20 and paying for the 2 scrolls.

Or losing the Shaman's magic level and Talisman, and making him a pure caddy with two Scrolls for 50 points. It's not my preferred approach (you get two Power Dice for turning up, use them!) but I suppose Power Dice are basically "dispel RIP spell dice" in this army. Though I forget if the Lore of Athel Loren actually has proper Remains In Play spells...

I would be tempted by that over slimming down the units. Wood Elves have a nasty habit of focusing fire/weight of attacks and surely the deep brick will do better at preserving static combat resolution?

Just Tony
If they do focus fire on one unit, it leaves everything else unscathed. Besides, I'd bet a nonessential organ of your choice that the opponent would shoot the cav first.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.