Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » Battle Reports
 Print Thread
BATTLE REPORT: Wood Elves at Tomb Kings 2/13/2021
MattyFenby
https://www.dakka...96323.page

I would write it here and put the link on the other site because I consider this one more of my "home" site but the Dakka site just lets me attach pictures and files easier. Please let me know what you think!

I'm always looking to improve so let me know if you see mistakes or have suggestions.

jonathan e
Very thorough! Not the sort I'd read for amusement, but I can't fault your format for serious analysis purposes. Are you running these games through software that records all this, or are you taking notes on everything, or what?

Beyond even the use of Dispel Scrolls, I wonder how much of your play was defined by "don't look in the Casket!" and whether it was too much. You have units on the board with Magic Resistance, and if they'd be affected by the Casket their player gets to throw their Magic Resistance die into the Dispel roll (2004 errata, I think?). Wood Elf base Leadership is also good enough that their units shouldn't take too many wounds from the Light of Death, although I get that it's a bigger worry with smaller units where every death counts. The Casket is very swingy but you've got to think about the most predictable outcome: 7 on a 2d6 roll, for a total of 9, for 1 wound on an unled Wood Elf unit. Big whoopty. Stop it if you can but save your scrolls for the playmaker spells.

I would also advise not to pass up the magic phase, especially not "because Miscasts." The sixth edition Miscast table is not as deadly as the (gamebreaking) eighth or even seventh edition versions which people get so worked up about. The most common outcomes are "this caster can't cast again" or "magic phase ends" - like you care when you're casting two Treesingings on two dice each to see what you can do with them! In sixty-odd games of sixth edition I can recall three outlandish Miscasts from my Vampire Counts, one of which was arguably in my favour. And they cast a lot of spells. You pay for spellcasting capacity: use it.

I'd be interested in your eyes on my latest report, if you have the time. I'm actually a bit worried about it - lots of likes, lots of views, zero substantive comments, which makes me wonder if people are actually reading it, if it's actually engaging them, or if I'm just getting courtesy reacts from the social media crowd.
Warhammer transmissions at Malediction Games

VC original run: 20 / 6 / 21
VC comeback tour: 5 / 0 / 4
WE fresh start: -/-/-

https://maledicton.games
MattyFenby
I did not include any narrative blurbs but I have seen how you and Tony do that and that might be something I work on for next time. I have been trying to step up my note taking to a really high level so I can make sure we're getting the rules right.

Regarding using Treesinging twice per turn: I calculated that the Dryads were faster under their own power. You are not allowed to target a wood that a friendly is partially in- so theyd have to sit still and move up 2D3 per turn rather than 8", and I'd be risking miscasts. I hear your points about fearing the miscasts and the Casket too much, though.

You are 100% correct about Magic Resistance and I should have known the Wild Riders could throw another dispel on there. I also definitely should have kept spell #4 The Twilight Host and used it on Glade Guard/Waywatchers/Wild Riders as appropriate to cut down on their psych tests

Regarding your Battle Report: I'll comment over there on it
Edited by MattyFenby on 19-02-2021 16:42

jonathan e
MattyFenby wrote:

I did not include any narrative blurbs but I have seen how you and Tony do that and that might be something I work on for next time. I have been trying to step up my note taking to a really high level so I can make sure we're getting the rules right.

Regarding using Treesinging twice per turn: I calculated that the Dryads were faster under their own power. You are not allowed to target a wood that a friendly is partially in- so theyd have to sit still and move up 2D3 per turn rather than 8", and I'd be risking miscasts. I hear your points about fearing the miscasts and the Casket too much, though.

You are 100% correct about Magic Resistance and I should have known the Wild Riders could throw another dispel on there. I also definitely should have kept spell #4 The Twilight Host and used it on Glade Guard/Waywatchers/Wild Riders as appropriate to cut down on their psych tests

Regarding your Battle Report: I'll comment over there on it

Regarding narrative, I think the question is one of fitness for purpose. I meant what I said about your report as praise, and I don't know if that came across. If you're trying to analyse and study your play, this is the kind of recording and reporting you should be doing, uncluttered with the nonsense I put in mine. My reports are there to chronicle the development of an army and its emergent narrative, and also to please me when I reread them, so I take a lighter touch on the details and blend in the bits of description and context.

Regarding Treesinging: I'd still be trying to cast it. You can move the woods by themselves to screen, to block, or to dare opponents into moving through them and potentially taking hits. The "tree taxi" is only one application and with aggressive troops like Dryads better suited to the middle of a move (i.e. the unit moves in in your Movement phase, surfs a bit in the Magic phase, moves out again next turn). I can see why you wanted to move the Dryads under their own steam though, if the woods would represent a detour and you couldn't get them all the way in.

Twilight Host is an excellent spell against Undead but it can't be counted on. A level 1 wizard will struggle to cast it (around 40% odds, I think, of an 8+ on two dice?) and the Tomb Kings are never hurting for Dispel dice.

My gut instinct says that with two level 1s you were right to do what you did with the spells: swap for Tree Singing, play it safe. If you want to throw the mid-lore spells around you need that third die in the casting roll. Only Call of the Hunt is a real challenge for a second level wizard to cast, which is fine because you'll almost always be able to trade it out for a Tree Singing. (Not that it's not good, but a spell you don't have the dice to reliably cast is a spell you might as well not have at all.)
Warhammer transmissions at Malediction Games

VC original run: 20 / 6 / 21
VC comeback tour: 5 / 0 / 4
WE fresh start: -/-/-

https://maledicton.games
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?