Kakapo42

· Total Members: 269
· Newest Member: PhantomDashia
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » Battle Reports
 Print Thread
Another Step on the Road to Resurrection (2000 points, Wood Elves vs. A SURPRISE)
jonathan e
So it transpires that the People's Prince has an unexpected two weeks off work and of course he messaged me asking when my days off were and, long and the short of it, no bones etcetera, I'm off to Bristol Independent Gaming (TM) for another test game.

The extreme quality of this introduction may well indicate something about the upcoming game. Ben's in with a good chance this time because a) I'm exhausted already, my insomnia got me coming and going last night and b) he may well be bringing Skaven. Or Ogres, if he's got his Ogres assembled by now.

I'm rocking almost the same Wood Elf list as last time:

Download source  Code
Spellweaver
Level 4 wizard
Rhymer’s Harp
Dispel Scroll

Branchwraith
Level 1 wizard
Annoyance of Netlings
Cluster of Radiants

Noble
Battle Standard
Light armour

10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

5 Scouts

5 Scouts

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

20 Eternal Guard
Champion, musician, standard bearer

3 Tree Kin

Treeman

Great Eagle

The only differences are some dead wood trimmed from the Tree-Kin (down to three) in favour of the solitary Eagle (to see if it's better than nothing in the department of interdictory nonsense) and some new kit for the Spellweaver.

Last time, his Leadership bubble wasn't anywhere relevant, he wasn't safe from marauding fast cavalry and my Eternal Guard didn't get to make many saving throws. Putting him in the Eternal Guard and issuing him with the Rhymer's Harp in theory addresses all these issues. It does create a Victory Point sink, and not a very tough one either, about which I am a wee bit worried, but that's why we play test games.

I'm changing one other thing, too: this time we roll with the Lore of Life. High time we saw what all the fuss was about!
SIXTH EDITION WFB STATS
VC original run: 20 / 6 / 21
VC comeback tour: 5 / 0 / 4
WE fresh start: 1/-/1

THIRD EDITION 40k STATS
to be confirmed...

https://maledicton.games
Just Tony
Yesssssssssssssssssssssss...

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised all the way around.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

jonathan e
Full report tomorrow but I'll tell you this: it was Skaven and it didn't go well, lads.

In particular, three Tree-Kin turned in the kind of performance that makes a man buy a box of Wild Riders on the way out (I got a pay rise this month. I can stretch to some Wild Riders) and the only two models in my army that pulled their weight were the Spellweaver and the Treeman. They pulled enough that it wasn't a *massacre* defeat, but...

Oh, and I have definitely accepted the damage potential of Life, but I could have really done with Call of the Hunt in this one - just saying.
SIXTH EDITION WFB STATS

THIRD EDITION 40k STATS
to be confirmed...

Just Tony
So Lord with Life, Hero with Athel Loren. Problem solved. It's a touch magic heavy, but it also gives you more tools in your tool box, PLUS you know very well you'll run out of dice LONG before you run out of spells to cast.

That, and Skaven seemed like the worst possible army for you to have run up against, especially if he ran Horde.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

jonathan e
Just Tony wrote:

So Lord with Life, Hero with Athel Loren. Problem solved. It's a touch magic heavy, but it also gives you more tools in your tool box, PLUS you know very well you'll run out of dice LONG before you run out of spells to cast.

Fishing for one spell without a level 4 is a mug's game, and a level 2 can't reliably cast Call anyway. The correct answer is "bite the bullet and buy the Wild Riders, Jonathan" and I've done it. This army needs melee threats with a charge ranger longer than 10". I don't think they'll be done by July (I already have two characters, an Eagle, twenty Eternal Guard and half a Treeman to paint; five weekends, and I'm a reluctant painter with other commitments to honour) but they'll be coming out for the November event, probably instead of the Tree-Kin.

Just Tony wrote:That, and Skaven seemed like the worst possible army for you to have run up against, especially if he ran Horde.

I do think they're a hard counter to the Wood Elves, and beyond that... player psychology is a factor, and I'm always on tilt going in to a game with Skaven. I can take them with my Army of Sylvania, but without the Storm of Chaos crutch (that's "tilt" and "crutch" in one post, remind me to log off and touch grass this afternoon) they're always a struggle.
SIXTH EDITION WFB STATS

THIRD EDITION 40k STATS
to be confirmed...

jonathan e
Anyway, here's the full report: https://maledicti...urrection/

(I'll copy and recode it if people want, but that takes time: I've already given WFB a day and a half of this weekend and my laundry won't do itself.)
SIXTH EDITION WFB STATS

THIRD EDITION 40k STATS
to be confirmed...

Just Tony
I'm not so sure this game was the best showing for what your army could potentially do to a Skaven force, especially with you being sleep addled.

I treat Skaven like a Bonsai Tree: I pick a part to shave off and concentrate on that. The closer to regiments that could Panic, the better. It also is worth pointing out that the only reason you got so pantsed in the Magic Phase is because of PD spam on his end. A concentrated round of magic coupled with shooting could have broken any regiment that housed a Warlock Engineer.

Other than that, it seemed more like a touch of guff rolling along with questionable deployment. I'm sure you'll get him next time.

jonathan e
You're absolutely right in that focus fire is the key - I just didn't set up in a way to enable that, and ended up dropping the key down the nearest sewer grating and handing it to Team Rodent Explosion. It's encounters like this that make me appreciate the Hail of Doom Arrow, although I'd have to retool the Spellweaver's kit again to get it into the army.

The next time I have a fight like this I just have to remember: invert deployment. The Dryads need screening, the Glade Guard need to be shooting every turn, so it's bows in front, trees behind. Tree Kin up front too, they're the bait in an engagement like this, let them eat lightning for all I care.

Tangent: this is the first time I've met a Skaven player who went to town on Warpstone Tokens and I have decided I don't approve - to extend my "sixth edition magic = dancing" analogy further, it's like starting a mosh pit at your salsa class.
SIXTH EDITION WFB STATS

THIRD EDITION 40k STATS
to be confirmed...

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?