· Newest Member: AnomanderRake
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer 40K » 3rd Edition
 Print Thread
Rhino Rush
Just Tony
I know that this is supposed to be the most dreaded move in all of 3rd Ed. 40K history, but my own experiences with hit have led me to think it was only ever a problem with Blood Angels or something severe like Khorne Berzerkers. What are your thoughts?
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Galadrin
I never got to play 3rd, but I don't remember it being a problem in 2nd. Rhinos were pretty vulnerable to enemy fire, weren't they? Quick way to convert a Space Marine squad into victory points... Coffin for 10 brothers and all that!

Just Tony
They were much more survivable for embarked troops in 3rd, but still weak. Ironically I always found the Eldar's Falcon/Wave Serpent Rush to be more brutal, but it never got the attention that Rhino Rush got.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

HidaSeku
Rhino Rush has quite the reputation as being a "killer" strategy. However, it failed against all sorts of lists. In the current level of strategy you can see on the various internet sites, I don't think it would hold up.

Having played a game recently with my Imperial Guard where a Wave Serpent dropped off some guys in the middle of my lines, I can agree with that, Just Tony!

Just Tony
Yeah, in those days you had a squad of Banshees in your Marine lines carving things up really really well, or a squad of Scorpions in a non-Marine line carving things up even better. It also isn't a coincidence that the Eldar got hosed with both the access point rule AND the decision to eliminate charging out of a vehicle.

jonathan e
If someone had the disposable income to put everything in a transport vehicle it was probably a problem. I was still in my teens at the time and transport vehicles didn't have a great points-to-pocket-money ratio so I functionally ignored them, so did everyone else I knew. I think I had a couple of Trukks in my Ork army right up until the big muscly plastic Boyz came out and my Gorkamorka lads were promptly relegated to the "these don't look like the same species" shelf along with my second edition Goffs.
Warhammer transmissions at Malediction Games

OG sixth edition: 20 / 6 / 21
comeback tour: 5 / 0 / 4

https://maledicton.games
Just Tony
It's funny, I always figured the Orks would benefit from them far more than most. Crumpin' da enemy wif da Choppa is where you want to be, and something that gets you there even FASTER seems to make the most sense.

jonathan e
Oh, they benefitted. It's just a question of points for pounds. If I spend 12 on a 144 point unit it gets me that much closer to playing a proper grown-up sized game than the same 12 on a transport that's worth less than half that. It's only become more noticeable as the Trukk kits have grown bigger, more sophisticated and ended up costing 1 per actual point of value but still being something that gets blown up as soon as it hits Rapid Fire range.

I always preferred the big transports like Land Raiders and Battlewagons that actually ate a good chunk of the points value and contributed something beyond "move fast, get wrecked in a useful place". I had Stormboyz for getting into combat quick sharp.

Just Tony
I always felt the opposite. I'd be much more annoyed at my Land Raider getting vaped in one shot having not dropped the kids off than I would a cheap transport.

jonathan e
Fair - but it's so much less likely on an AV14 all round Raider than an AV10 all round Trukk!

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.