· Newest Member: MattyFenby
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » 6th Edition
 Print Thread
Scouts: essential or useless?
Just Tony
Since it's been a while for any postings, it's time for me to start another discussion thread.

The last game I played against my brother I was building my High Elf army and trying to accommodate everything I felt was essential to the army with some compromise units in the back. At one point I was modifying my list and had exactly enough points at the end of it to put in the 10 man Shadow Warriors regiment that's been in my army since its inception. However, I couldn't bring myself to put them in my trial list, let alone the final list. For the life of me I can't justify spending points on scouts at all, with the exception of Rangers. Since every scout unit is also a skirmisher unit, they receive no rank bonus and cannot cancel ranks. The best you can hope for is +1-2 combat resolution for flank/rear respectively. Assuming, of course, that getting into base contact doesn't simply add more wounds to the enemy to use against you.

What are your thoughts? Is there some use other than disruption that I'm missing?
Edited by Just Tony on 15-11-2018 04:07
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Geep
Disruption is basically it, but in 6th that can be a big deal. You mainly block march moves, but are hard to shift (-2 to hit with shooting, minimum, assuming you've got them in some forest or similar, and no non-skirmisher in 6th wants to get bogged in a forest for the game).

If you get really lucky a player may leave something exposed- weapons teams, and mages being favourites (as shooting from the scouts will be enough), but if you can get a charge on a war machine that's also good. You usually need to catch an opponent napping to get chances like those though.

I don't know what the cost of Shadow Warriors is, but I know I always found Wood Elf Scouts severely disappointing. 5 points more than an archer (17 total) and losing the Asrai longbow, in an army already heavy with scouts/ skirmishers/ fast cav

Just Tony
15 each for what amounts to HE archers with hatred.

Nah, my normal tactic is to lurch my entire army forward at top speed for the slowest units, with the entire line even across with a few exceptions. I only run about 1/4 to 1/3 shooting, so it's really important I get stuck in. Besides, moving as fast as possible towards the enemy gets rid of that 1/8" dance that Hello Kitty claimed existed that I never saw.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

TinyLegions
Geep is right. Scouts are a finess unit more than anything else. Knowing how to use them effectively is always the hard part. I don't expect them to break units, but I do expect them to cause trouble with war machines, and take a quarter. On another note, it depends on what the objective of the battle.
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

Geep
Besides, moving as fast as possible towards the enemy gets rid of that 1/8" dance that Hello Kitty claimed existed that I never saw.

In my opinion, if you ever saw that dance it was because one or both armies didn't have enough shooting, or enough chaff units (Scouts count here). I'm always amazed at the number of people who forget you can flee from a charge, or who don't think to sacrifice a unit to get an overwhelming counter-charge.

One funny, though mean thing I've done with scouts before is to march them out of their cover, forming a line 1" in front of the enemy, and moving my own combat units (ideally cavalry) to within ~11-13" of the front of the enemy. If the enemy charge the scouts let them stand and be wiped out- you'll be the one to get the charge that matters.
That's an expensive way to use scouts, and better suited to Eagles, Wolf Riders or the like, but they can do it in a pinch.

TinyLegions
Bait and switch are what they are perfect for. It happened to me a few times with my dwarves against Orc and Goblin forces.
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

Just Tony
Yeah, when it comes down to it, I'd rather have my Great Eagles pull all of those jobs. They are more than maneuverable enough, and cost less than Shadow Warriors.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.