· Newest Member: Sherpa1016
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » General Discussion
 Print Thread
A Book you liked and a book you didn't
HidaSeku
Whenever I bought a new book for Fantasy, there was always either a feeling of "wow cool!" or a feeling of "that's it?" For some reason, I feel like a lot of the Fantasy books are this way, stretching through the entirety of the Classichammer era.

So, I was curious which book you bought or looked at and was enamored with, and which book you bought or looked at and felt like it was a waste of time/energy/money.

For me, the book that completely blew away my expectations was the Uniforms & Heraldry of the Empire. I don't remember when this book came out exactly (7th? 8th?) but my expectations were pretty low when I looked at a copy that my local store had. I was completely blown away! The pictures, the ideas, the concepts, all in a tidy, hardback format. Even though at that point I had painted a large portion of my Empire army, I still found it both inspirational and a fun book to look through. Well worth purchasing, and quite a little gem of a book.

On the other hand, I purchased the Lustria book when it came out (7th edition I think?) and was completely let down. At the time, I even played both Lizardmen and Skaven, so I had a lot I could possibly glean from it. Instead, I read some stuff, looked at some other stuff, but have never really used it at all. I felt like it was a very 'blah' book and I didn't enjoy it at all.

What were some books you guys liked or didn't like? If someone really liked the Lustria book, please tell me why because I'd love a fresh perspective so I can sit down with that book again and actually enjoy it instead of giving it a dirty look every time I walk by it!

TinyLegions
I would guess that the 7th edition HE book was a bit of a let down for me. If I had any hope of reasonable army books in the 7th, this kind of sealed the deal for me in that it was never going to happen. I can officially say that is where I saw the multiple attacks from Rank and File troops where I started to scratch my head on. That may have been done earlier in other books, but I just don't recall.

I have only done two things from the GC but I am still enamored with it today. That is my personal favorite book made by GW.
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

Galadrin
General's Compendium was nice. I also really liked the old 'Eavy Metal painting guide; it was full of great ideas.

I always found the illustrated guide to the World of Warhammer to be very pretty, but I never knew what I was supposed to do with it... Some of the concepts were cool (like the descriptions of every major race's religion), but it seemed to otherwise be recycled information. Though, I suppose now that the Old World is no more, it has some added value.
Edited by Galadrin on 30-01-2016 11:00

Just Tony
Liked? The High Elf 5th Ed. book. I wound up using it for one game before switching to 6th, but I kept it solely based on the fiction. If I found one for cheap, I'd still have it.

Hated? Or at least had that nice uneasy feeling? Almost said 7th High Elves, but that one pales in comparison to what I felt when I saw 7th Dark Elves. And 7th Vampire Counts even more so. So I'd say pretty much everything in 7th starting from High Elves on.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

HidaSeku
The General's Compendium was a great book. I remember when it came out my group tried a pair of campaigns that both fizzled out. A lot of fond memories, to be sure! Always wanted to try the boat rules, and never did.

The_Worker
I think my favourite Warhammer book is almost certainly the 6th Edition Vampire Counts one, because of the art, and the feel, and the background (although Warhammer Armies: Hordes of Chaos is a very close second!).

That said, my hardback Liber Chaotica is probably my most prized Black Library book ever.

Books I hated? 7th Edition. Just... all of it. 8th was worse and End Times/AoS... brrrrr.
SF&F Wargames Blog - The Week's Work
Historical Wargames Blog - The Molgravian Gazette
Poetry and Writing Facebook

theweekswork.blogspot.co.uk
Galadrin
Not really a hate, but I was never quite at ease with the 5th Edition Vampire Counts book. I felt the 4th Edition Undead book had a ton more character... The fluff behind carrion was just so evocative, the regiments of mummies were thematically irresistible (and so powerul!)... I just never got why Vampire Counts needed to drop that stuff and become more focused on Eastern European vampire legends. At the end of 5th Edition, the Tomb Kings of Khemri got a list in White Dwarf, but the consolidated 4e Undead list just seemed to be more thematic and cool.
Edited by Galadrin on 03-02-2016 20:41

TinyLegions
[quote]Just Tony wrote:

Liked? The High Elf 5th Ed. book. I wound up using it for one game before switching to 6th, but I kept it solely based on the fiction. If I found one for cheap, I'd still have it.

[quote]

I got that book on a lark for $5 a few months back. Best $5 that I spent in a long time.
Your Benevolent dictator

Just Tony
In retrospect, I think the Orc and Goblin book may have been my wake up call. Quite a few balances to rules were eliminated (Choppas, Animosity) and Black Orcs gaining every weapon option as stock indicated which way 7th was going.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

TinyLegions
Just Tony wrote:

In retrospect, I think the Orc and Goblin book may have been my wake up call. Quite a few balances to rules were eliminated (Choppas, Animosity) and Black Orcs gaining every weapon option as stock indicated which way 7th was going.

I think that you are right about this book being a warning sign. That and the Empire book had warning signs that we were not paying attention to.
Your Benevolent dictator

Just Tony
On the plus side, 7th brought us Warbands.

TinyLegions
It did indeed. Honestly I never really played either Warbands nor Skirmish, but they both served the same role.
Your Benevolent dictator

Just Tony
I found a PDF which has Skirmish AND Warbands, if you feel so inclined. Since neither were available to purchase, I wonder if it crosses any lines...

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.