· Newest Member: Sherpa1016
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » General Discussion
 Print Thread
Campaign's and you
TinyLegions
So my most fun that I had has been during campaigns that I have had throughout my time in this hobby. It would normally evoke a lot more content and back story than anything that I would do for say a League or a Tournament. I have been in three campaigns over the years and while I have had some high and lows, I overall had a fun time. All of them were map campaigns of some sort, which brought to me a sense of a game on top of the game of Warhammer. It always felt to me like the "Total War" series that I am a avid fan of. With all of this, I know the drawbacks and saw them first hand, in that people get bored quickly if nothing is happening, or if they are eliminated quickly. This is where an effective GM, which is always hard to find, and everyone having access to several armies is key. Both of those are in my opinion are requirements to a good campaign. I would like to hear your thoughts on this topic.
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

sotek222
I've tried to start three campaigns and each fell apart at lift off. It comes down to my friends who aren't as insanely serious as i am. if i could find more interested gamers i could pull it off.

thanks,
Matthew Masiello
"Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier.

"Only after you have kissed the fleeting stead of death, wretch!" returned Grignr.

Just Tony
I've played in quite a few campaigns, and I've played more than a few narrative style games where the inherent balances of tourney play wasn't a part of it. And while I enjoy it, I treat it like cheesecake. I don't eat cheesecake every meal, nor do I eat it once a day. If I'm lucky, I'll have cheesecake once every 3-4 months, so as not to get tired of it. Campaign play is like that for me. I also think that a campaign that isn't rigidly monitored and documented falls apart fairly quickly. You also kind of need some sort of motivation for the campaign, so people are invested in more than creating a back story for their general. That is why I stagger my competitive/pick up gaming with my narrative/loose gaming.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

TinyLegions
sotek222 wrote:

I've tried to start three campaigns and each fell apart at lift off. It comes down to my friends who aren't as insanely serious as i am. if i could find more interested gamers i could pull it off.

thanks,
Matthew Masiello

This may be the place to find such players. Who else but die hard gamers would muse over a game that has not been supported for 10 years.
Your Benevolent dictator

MasterSpark
I've never been in a heavily narrative campaign in any wargame I've played but I'll be trying something new with a couple of friends as soon as we get off the ground with our new armies. The 5th edition battle book includes a section for multiplayer campaigns that have you fighting to gain and steal territories from each other, each one making your army stronger. Every territory is labelled as something (forest, mountain, road, temple and so on) so even if there's not a map to come with it at first we could always draw one ourselves when our realms have grown and settled.

Miz Anna
I would really enjoy a campaign, perhaps something like 'The Border Princes' where an Empire Noble and her loyal retinue could carve out a destiny of her own whilst fighting Orks, Undead, and the like.
No Remorse~No Retreat~No Fear~

My 40K Blog - http://40kwarange...gspot.com/

http://40kwarangel.blogspot.com/
sotek222
TinyLegions wrote:

sotek222 wrote:

thanks,
Matthew Masiello

This may be the place to find such players. Who else but die hard gamers would muse over a game that has not been supported for 10 years.

thats why i joined actually hopefully to find like minded players in my area
"Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier.

"Only after you have kissed the fleeting stead of death, wretch!" returned Grignr.

TinyLegions
Miz Anna wrote:

I would really enjoy a campaign, perhaps something like 'The Border Princes' where an Empire Noble and her loyal retinue could carve out a destiny of her own whilst fighting Orks, Undead, and the like.

I have always liked the simplicity of the Border Princes campaign.
Your Benevolent dictator

TinyLegions
MasterSpark wrote:

I've never been in a heavily narrative campaign in any wargame I've played but I'll be trying something new with a couple of friends as soon as we get off the ground with our new armies. The 5th edition battle book includes a section for multiplayer campaigns that have you fighting to gain and steal territories from each other, each one making your army stronger. Every territory is labelled as something (forest, mountain, road, temple and so on) so even if there's not a map to come with it at first we could always draw one ourselves when our realms have grown and settled.

I think that there is something similar to that in the 6th edition as well. Do try it out with a few friends and see what happens.
Your Benevolent dictator

TinyLegions
sotek222 wrote:

TinyLegions wrote:

sotek222 wrote:

thanks,
Matthew Masiello

thats why i joined actually hopefully to find like minded players in my area

I hope that you find some like minded folks. I know that I am here for that as well.
Your Benevolent dictator

Miz Anna
TinyLegions wrote:

Miz Anna wrote:

I have always liked the simplicity of the Border Princes campaign.

I think something like the Border Princes is a good way to introduce players to campaigning, too. Sometimes campaigns get too big to manage too quickly, and it's better to start by focusing on getting games played.
No Remorse~No Retreat~No Fear~

My 40K Blog - http://40kwarange...gspot.com/

http://40kwarangel.blogspot.com/
Just Tony
TinyLegions wrote:

MasterSpark wrote:

I think that there is something similar to that in the 6th edition as well. Do try it out with a few friends and see what happens.

Mighty Empires? There was a campaign book put out that had this really cool hex tile map made out of plastic to plot out your campaigns. One of the purchases I regret passing up on.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

TinyLegions
Just Tony wrote:

TinyLegions wrote:

MasterSpark wrote:

Mighty Empires? There was a campaign book put out that had this really cool hex tile map made out of plastic to plot out your campaigns. One of the purchases I regret passing up on.

I was thinking of the Campaign rule set in the BRB, near the Skirmish Rules I think, that was watered down from the Border Princes Campaign rule set. I honestly question whether it was even considered to be a map campaign. You never had your armies on the map in the one in the BRB. That is more reminiscent to a latter campaign to me honestly.

You are right about the old Mighty Empires campaign set. While the tiles themselves were good in the new Mighty Empires that came out the rules were total crap.
Your Benevolent dictator

Just Tony
That's the wonderful thing about a dead system, you can take parts of whatever you like and adapt them. Actually, I'd love to get ahold of those old campaign packs from 5th: Tears of Isha, Grudge of Drong et al. and update them for 6th.

TinyLegions
I always wanted to do the Battle of the East Gate in the 6th edition. I think that it would work better in the 6th as you can actually have two flag level characters in a 3K army.
Your Benevolent dictator

snyggejygge
Imo Campaigns are great fun, during 5:th we played through 4 Campaigns (one map based, 2 boxed Campaigns, Circle of Blood & Idol of Gork & one I did myself which was 4 games in total, the outcome of each game adding something to the final game).

In 6:th we used the Generalīs Compendium to play a big map based Campaign with 12 players as well as a smaller one with 4 players. After that I didnīt play any Campaigns until last year when a friend of mine was on a weekly long visit & we used Ravening Hordes to generate armies & play a small 3 game Campaign based on the 5:th edition Battle book examples.

I bought Blood in the badlands but never got around to play it....

Imo Campaigns add a lot to the games & each game feels like it has a purpose, it doesnīt matter if the final games are uneven, as long as all have fun.

Just Tony
So does anyone here have a list of all the campaign packs so I can track them down?

sotek222
off the top of my head:
Idol of Gork
Perilous Quest
Tears of Isha
Grudge of Drong
Circle of Blood

TinyLegions
snyggejygge wrote:
In 6:th we used the Generalīs Compendium to play a big map based Campaign with 12 players as well as a smaller one with 4 players. After that I didnīt play any Campaigns until last year when a friend of mine was on a weekly long visit & we used Ravening Hordes to generate armies & play a small 3 game Campaign based on the 5:th edition Battle book examples.

Imo Campaigns add a lot to the games & each game feels like it has a purpose, it doesnīt matter if the final games are uneven, as long as all have fun.

I concur that Campaigns can add a lot to the game. As long as it does not go too far it is good fun every time that I played a campaign. For the "Big Map based campaigns" from the Generals Compendium, were they the Game Master Campaigns or the campaigns based on the Border Princes? I always wanted to ask someone if they liked the GM campaigns as that is more or less like the Total War series.
Your Benevolent dictator

snyggejygge
GM led Campaigns both of them, I led the big one myself & we ended it with a big game where each player got to bring an amount of forces based on how many map tiles they owned.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.