· Newest Member: rvb
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer 40K » 3rd Edition
 Print Thread
Crux Terminatus
Just Tony
So playing the game against my brother a few weeks ago saw me actually run my Terminators for the first time in a VERY long time. They wound up making several of their 5+ Invulnerable saves, and got my brother started on how he didn't like the introduction of the rule in the first place. He also ran Deathwing when it was introduced, and I remember him being quite disgusted at the rule. I personally thought that I watched 250 pts. evaporate far too fast too often for the Termies to be fairly priced. I'm of the opinion that having Deep Strike at all times would have been a better fix, though.

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Geep
I remember when the rule came out, though I didn't play 40k at the time. I think it is quite a reasonable rule.

When first introduced, power weapons still ignored saves completely and were pretty common- this was back before genestealers were (repeatedly) nerfed. Storm shields were also quite weak. Combined, it made close combat terminators useless.
Sure the shooting terminators benefited too, but not as much, as ranged weapons great at armour piercing were less common back then (and if the terminators reached combat where it mattered the 5+ save usually wouldn't swing a result).

In current 40k everything is ramped up to 11. Rapid-firing armour piercing weapons are common, though close combat armour piercing is more rare, and storm shields are insanely good. I'd say the first two points are kind of irrelevant in the face of the first though- Terminators are uncommon nowadays because they're expensive but can be mown down with ease by a wide variety of options. The 5+ save doesn't do much- even the Stormshield tends to struggle against the volume of saves that rely on it.

Just Tony
Yeah, I'm still looking at it from the 3rd Ed. lens. His big issue is that his Incubi were having trouble rolling up less than 5 Termies. I kind of agree that my rolling was more than on point when it came to Invulnerable saves, but at the same time I also had two squads evaporate due to starcannon fire back during my tourney days. It's kind of funny that when there were trial rules being tossed around for his Dark Eldar, and the Hellions got Punishers, he didn't have a problem with that at all. I think he felt that the 2+ was more than enough for Termies.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

HidaSeku
I think Crux Terminatus is a great rule that helps out Terminators that otherwise would be over-costed. I tended to always lose my termies to non-AP fire anyway Frown so getting a 5++ didn't help out there! No amount of invulnerable save can stop me from rolling 1s! Shock

Just Tony
Especially when you say "Anything but a 1..." before rolling.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.