· Newest Member: Vitlet
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » 6th Edition
 Print Thread
I just found something amazing!
nurglesmom
So I was visiting my mom the other day and decided to fire up my first computer, an old mac she'd given me after her work got her a newer one. So there I was, browsing my old crap and guess what I found?

Web archives of the 6th edition designers notes for the army books.

Yes that's right, there was a time when GW had so much faith in their game that they allowed their designers to post notes on their webpage for all to see and scrutinize. That alone I think says something significant about the quality of 6th edition WHFB as a game.

But anyway, my question is obviously do you want me to upload this stuff here? The answer is yes, yes you do. If you have the army books but never read the designers notes they are an absolute must-have. For some of the earlier armies like Vampire Counts, its just 4 pages with some general thoughts about game mechanics and points costs. For some later armies like Lizardmen, there are separate designers notes for each individual unit, as well as for the army in general.

So one problem is obviously that their current format is safari web archive, but it should be easy for me to convert them to pdf before uploading them here.

Also on my old computer I found some other stuff I managed to rip from the clutches of GW's old homepage before they went 7th on me. It's mostly things like special character rules, alternative army lists, the old Kislev army book, stuff like that. I'm not sure about the legality of sharing such material however, so if Lord Admin could advise his humble servant on how to proceed with this he would be most grateful Smile

Just Tony
If memory serves, there is a grey area on some of it. I think if it has a blurb on the document anywhere that specifically states it is for sharing or photocopying, that it should be safe, but we may need to go on a piece by piece basis. I personally think the Magic lore cards should be safe since they were never used again, NOR were they sold. Hell, there isn't even copyright information on the forms themselves. I'd have to look at webarchive and see if there's a legal blurb on there, but those may be some of the few items that are not questioned at all.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Galadrin
I say share it, definitely share it! GW has a very clear statement of IP on their website and they would not have a problem with that.

TinyLegions
Provided that you are not infringing on the IP of GW, I am fine with it.
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

nurglesmom
Well actually, GW's Terms of website use seems pretty ironclad. From the way I read it, I'm not even allowed to share the designers notes, which is all I wanted to share in the first place Sad

The only loophole I can find is that the Terms aren't very clear on wether they apply to the current website only or to older versions as well, but I think it's a given that if GW would come knocking they would interpret that in their favor.

I've half a mind to just share the designers notes anyway since they are virtually impossible for a 6th edition enthusiast to come by, but I obviously don't want to cause any problems here at classichammer :/

Just Tony
You could always email them, as they are legendary in their ability to communicate with their fanbase.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

nurglesmom
Yeah, I suppose I will do that, but I'm not very optimistic. Here is what they're saying:

"You also agree:

Not to reproduce, duplicate, or copy any part of our site without our express permission."

and also:

"All materials on this site, including but not limited to images, artwork, text, audio clips, and video clips, are, unless otherwise stated, owned and controlled by GW and may not be copied, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted or distributed in any way."

So basically, if I email them and say that I've got web archives of their old homepage, I'm admitting to breaching their Terms of Website Use Sad

Just Tony
Well, if I remember correctly those same articles are on the web archive site, which we linked in another thread here. Maybe.

nurglesmom
So... if I understand you correctly I actually don't have to do anything since there may or may not already be a link to those very same pages somewhere in this general area?

Just Tony
Yeah, I'll have to double check the link. I think that there may be an issue where the link was abbreviated while copy/pasta, so I may have to redo it once I get home.

Just Tony
Resources Pool thread under general discussion, but I'm pretty sure that link is dead or misdirected. There was also a thread on warseer that had the link in it.

nurglesmom
Yep I've found it, but that link is indeed not workable. I'll put this issue on hold for now since we haven't really decided how to share stuff like this here on classichammer.

Just Tony
https://web.archi...efault.htm

Lets see if this works

Just Tony
So it looks like I got it going on. Apparently there's something in here that abbreviates links unless you make the URL clickable. This should be what you're talking about. Have a gander and see what you think.

nurglesmom
Yes! That archive does indeed seem to have most of the things I found stored on my old computer. Nice work.

Just Tony
As previously stated in other threads, the only Magic cards missing on that page seem to be the Death lore, and I have those albeit as jpg and not pdf.

nurglesmom
Still, a very nice resource to have around though Smile

Just Tony
What I also like about that site is that quite a few of the interactive programs are still up and running. I believe the Saurus Warrior painter still works. Also as a bonus you can flip to the 40K side and help yourself to a treasure trove of stuff.

Violet
Interesting link, thanks!

Does anyone know where i can find a list of all the additional units added to 6th edition? such as white dwarf books that contained rules for new units etc?

HidaSeku
Just Tony, thanks for that link. It was like a full hit of nostalgia right to the face! Reminded me of better days for GW. Now I'm looking all over it and coming up with all sorts of gaming ideas! Good choice!

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.