· Newest Member: JackssLobby
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » General Discussion
 Print Thread
Which Edition?
blargly
First up, I've only played 8th edition, but over the years I got increasingly dissatisfied with various elements such as the magic, terrain etc. When AoS hit my focus shattered, and I've tried out various systems like KoW and 9th Age.

I recently started reading through some of the older rule books (6th/7th) and found myself inspired. Magic seems more in line and units don't seem bogged down with tons of rules! However, I'm not sure which system is best for me - it sounds like the armybooks which came out during 7th Edition are terrible (infamous Daemon book, high elves and ASF etc). But I feel the core 7th rules could be good if only played with 6th/Ravening Hordes armies.

Just wondering if people agree that this is a good approach or if pure 6th is a better way to go? I'm probably going to try and cajole my old gaming group back into action so need a system which will lure them back in!

Just Tony
The best I can recommend is whichever your group can get behind. Me and my brother are pretty much 6th with a couple house rules including what little 7th rules we liked.

I can tell you there are a few rules in 7th that I have a huge problem with.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

HidaSeku
My recommendation would be to try 6th edition straight up with Ravening Hordes lists. I think it will open your eyes to a new tactical game. Really, anything from 6th to beginning of 7th is good territory. If you play 6th, it's very, very close in rules to 7th. There's a couple minor changes between the two, and in the end they play very similarly (the base rules anyway, the army books are a whole other matter!)

I would just avoid when 7th started to go downhill... which is pretty fast. End of 7th was one of the worst Warhammer I've ever played. It was terrible lol

blargly
Yeah, I pretty much ruled out any 7th edition army books!

Ok, I'll grab a physical 6th edition copy. I also recently acquired Ravening Hordes.

Out of curiosity, what were the rules you liked and hated in 7th Just Tony?

Just Tony
LIKES: Limiting power dice generated by a wizard TO that wizard (ie. no more power battery LVL 2 wiz's filling up a LVL 4 so he can max spells.), Insane Courage (EVERY LD test has a chance to pass on a double 1, adding an out for fear Autobreak. Still on the fence about the 5 man ranks.

HATES: the Swarm rules (crumble like undead), being able to fight in 2 combats in one phase if you time your charges right, not a fan of the changes to the spells. Still on the fence about the 5 man ranks.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

blargly
Interesting re the spells. I was pleasantly surprised by how moderate I found them in the 7th ed rulebook. Maybe I've just been ruined by the insane spells found in 8th!

As a group we're used to 5 ranks, but I won't rule it out, as I imagine it has some interesting implications in terms of unit size, combat output etc. Swarms I can see us dropping crumble, just seems pointless.

Well, this has been good - I've already had positive responses from the group so I imagine we'll find a spare weekend to play with quite soon. I'll no doubt have more questions and will hopefully have a battle report or two to share!

Just Tony
There were a few too many spells in 7th, counting the army book spells, that were far too high for a LVL 2 to be able to cast, let alone a LVL 1. At least the latter had the ability to choose the #1 spell. On more than one occasion I've rolled a 1 and a 6 for spells, effectively neutering my caster. Also, several of the spells I liked in 6th got dropped and replaced in 7th, for no reason. I also question the order changes, as well as casting value changes.

For unit size it has more to do with effectiveness of 25mm infantry and cavalry vs price for trying to get rank bonus.

Yeah, swarms became an overglorified speed bump in 7th, instead of the tar pit they were in 6th.

Make sure you post a battle report, and encourage your friends to discuss here as well.
Edited by Just Tony on 08-06-2018 06:18

TinyLegions
Welcome to Classic war gaming Blargly. I try to steer away from the 7th edition core mainly due to the army books. It seems to me a controversial edition with a lot of bad blood attributable to it. I am not exactly sure if the enhancements were good between the two editions. Some are good tweaks and some can be annoying. Ultimately this is something that your group needs to discuss as far as which edition that you want to play and which house rules that you want to use. I do implore you to include a battle report or four when you get the dice rolling.
Edited by TinyLegions on 08-10-2016 09:37
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

Just Tony
The nice thing about 6th was that if you chase down a copy of Ravening Hordes you have about the most balanced gaming experience you'll ever have. It's a shame the army books dropped the ball with the whole power creep, but if you use the RH pamphlet as a springboard, you can come up with house rules that make sense and balance in the end.

blargly
I've picked up RH and a 6th edition book, and have been reading the latter a fair bit - what a great book! I'm loving a lot of the rules I've read, and really wish I played fantasy during this era.

I know Ogre Kingdoms were added post RH, how do they balance out compared to those lists? Reading through the book, ogres are hugely nerfed compared to their 8th ed versions. I also had a look at the wood elf book, which just looks terrifyingly powerful now (a friend played using the old codex in 8th as he liked being the underdog, it looks like that's reversed unless he uses RH).

Just Tony
Yeah, the WE book is one of the few bones I have to pick with 6th. That's part of the infamous power creep in the army books. Ogre Kingdoms, in my opinion, were midline as far as armies go. I never dreaded facing them with any army, and I never roflstomped them with any army.

And you did miss a bit by missing this era. There was also a thriving tourney scene at the time, and the influx of new players was rather high.

Brr-icy
6th, I like the balance between the armies, and more focus on the army itself rather than the special characters.

Just Tony
blargly wrote:

I've picked up RH and a 6th edition book, and have been reading the latter a fair bit - what a great book! I'm loving a lot of the rules I've read, and really wish I played fantasy during this era.

I know Ogre Kingdoms were added post RH, how do they balance out compared to those lists? Reading through the book, ogres are hugely nerfed compared to their 8th ed versions. I also had a look at the wood elf book, which just looks terrifyingly powerful now (a friend played using the old codex in 8th as he liked being the underdog, it looks like that's reversed unless he uses RH).

Sadly VERY late response, but look in the Warhammer Annual and Warhammer Chronicles books, and you'll find interim lists for Bretonnians, Lizardmen, and Wood Elves that are honestly better than what the final books were, as far as balance goes.

TinyLegions
Brr-icy wrote:

6th, I like the balance between the armies, and more focus on the army itself rather than the special characters.

Great Minds think alike.
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll