· Newest Member: amevicu
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » 6th Edition
 Print Thread
Swarms in 6th
Just Tony
Does anyone else miss the way swarms used to be? Given their points cost and stat line, being unbreakable didn't seem so questionable. Then along came 7th and swarms suddenly crumbled like undead. It was after that rulebook that I stopped running swarms at all, and I had a full swarm unit for each army. What are your thoughts?
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

HidaSeku
Swarms were awesome in 6th! I used to play Jungle Swarms with my Lizardmen and they were a lot of fun.

When they crumbled, I simply stopped using them. I never got why they did that. In fact, swarms were usually not worth their value in points (especially poison Jungle Swarms). I played them purely for "fun factor" and stopped playing them in 7th entirely.

snyggejygge
Swarms were great roadblocks in 4:th to 6:th, the addition of crumbling made them unplayable....

Just Tony
It wouldn't have been so bad if there was a drop in points or an added benefit, but what we got was a nerf for no reason, and no counterbenefit/points drop/anything.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Just Tony
These guys held up Dwarfs for 3-4 full turns. Had they crumbled, it wouldn't have gone NEAR that long, and they would have been worth far less than 60 pts per base.
Just Tony attached the following image:
turn_3_dogs_of_war_c.jpg

Just Tony
So it would appear that I can indeed attach images, but that I can't control where they are in the post.

Geep
What do you think of Undead swarms?

Spirit hosts need crumble (as one of few ways many units can hurt them), and they are properly dead, so I like them crumbling.

Bat swarms on the other hand... it can be debated as to whether they are dead or not. Crumbling is obviously bad for them, but they are one of the fastest undead units, and often are a Core unit- so maybe it's fair enough that they crumble? 'Road block' is a unit type that is pretty abundant in undead armies anyway.

Just Tony
I agree on Spirit Hosts, but Bat Swarms need to NOT crumble. At least in my mind. Tie up that many models in ANY other VC undead unit, and see if it weighs up pound for pound. The only advantage is that 5 wounds take up a 4 model footprint.

Geep
I guess it comes down to points- I haven't sat down and compared bat swarm points from 6th to 8th to see how much of a reduction they gained for crumble.

Along similar lines, I'm unsure how to run ghouls the best. I like them being alive skirmishers- but 'crumbling' can still accurately reflect their uncoordinated running away. The only thing is you don't crumble from shooting, as they then should. It's probably best to keep them on regular Ld rules, rather than write a page on how they're special.

Just Tony
Just Tony wrote:

I agree on Spirit Hosts, but Bat Swarms need to NOT crumble. At least in my mind. Tie up that many models in ANY other VC undead unit, and see if it weighs up pound for pound. The only advantage is that 5 wounds take up a 4 model footprint.

To add to this, Khemri swarms of Scarab beetles need to not be Undead either. Kinda defeats the purpose at that point. Why not be a swarm of skulls if that's the case?

Jesus, I better not give GW any ideas...

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.