Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » 6th Edition
Prefer special characters?
Yes Yes 50%[3 Votes]
No No 50%[3 Votes]
Total Votes : 6
 Print Thread
Special Characters WFB edition
Just Tony
What do people prefer? Something snyggy said stuck with me about them basically being named with worse magic items. I'm of the mind that having the ability to play as someone you've read about in the fiction and grown attached to is pretty awesome in and of itself, and it loses something trying to build that person up from scratch.

For instance, Eltharion's story has enthralled me since reading about him in the 5th Edition book. Even his turn as blind Swordmaster stuck with me, and I genuinely squee-ed when I saw the rules and mini for him.

Poll is up, what do you think?
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

blargly
I like them, especially when they change the army composition in some interesting way or have a different rule which standard character's can't have (Skrag's gorger army or Tamurkhan's possession powers for example). I can appreciate why people do get sick of seeing them sometimes!
Sometimes they do seem to be prebuilt characters, but on the whole they add to the game.

Just Tony
So vote1 Grin
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

foggynight81
I love the special characters. I believe it adds to the background. Sometimes fielding can be exciting and can be epic in the battle themselves. My some I are playing 3000 point game, he has settra and I took durthu. Serra was part of a super chariot unit but got blocked by trees du to all the tree singing I had. Serra is mean, killing my prince on a dragon. Durthu has been on the other side of the table supporting flimsy wood elf unit in combat with skellies. It been a fun game and we are just finished turn 3.
My Hellblaster's catastrophic explosion is always counted as a successful kill.

snyggejygge
Imo it depends on the character, someone that brings something unique, whether it is a different army composition, a rule to a unit or a very different special magic item is very fun, for instance I really like Crom with a unique special-rule as well as giving all marauders the mark of undivided, but changing marked warriors/Knights to special units.

However I dislike it when it is ust a specialcharacter with the exact same statline as a normal character with items that already exist in the game, especially since often they just give them things with no thought about synergy.

TinyLegions
Voted No as I find most special characters to be rather boring to play with or against in general. There are some exceptions to this of course, in that they are too cool for me not to play them, but all of my special character models just wind up becoming regular characters. This is one of my few outlets where I let my imagination run wild, why should I nail down one of my characters to the set rules from GW?
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

elendor
I think below 3000 points special characters are overkill since they make the game about themselves completely (most special characters being 500 points or more).

However for 3000 points or more they can add a lot of epicness to the game.
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Just Tony
Eltharion is my favorite special character from WFB, and he was 255 pts in 6th Ed. Well, Swordmaster verison.

elendor
The ones below 400 points I think can be ok since you can kit a normal Lord to be as expensive anyway, so the power level is not distorted (for example a Bloodthirster is a normal choice and costed 650 points, far more than many special characters).
So some special characters as you mention are fine to include, although if I want to include a special character I always tell my opponent beforehand (but this is just my own practice).

P.S. I have the blind Eltharion miniature! It was a shame that they backed out on his story for 7th edition :/
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."

Just Tony
Yeah, the backpedaling of 7th from 6th REALLY ticked me off. They also moved a few things in 40K that they backpedaled on as well.

So what are your thoughts about the End Times revelations about Malekith?

elendor
From 40k did they move back the Eye of Terror campaign? I remember from a WD that Eldrad fought Abaddon and both died or something like that.

I haven't read the End of Times books but from what I have read from the internet the argument "Malekith was intended to be the Phoenix King" sounds pretty silly to me, like even if it was the intention from the beginning, the fact that he started a civil war and promoted a death cult for several millennia kind of puts off his claim.
Besides the lore from any edition made it very clear that he was punished by Asuryan for his greed, not that he was testing him.
I get that they needed an excuse to unite the elves (something I disagree on as well) but the execution was bad.

Kakapo42
As someone who both loved Warhammer Fantasy's setting and hates metaplots with the burning fury of a billion suns, the ET series is a dirty word for me. That I invented an entire story arc for the express purpose of retconning it from existence should say a lot on what my thoughts are about the whole Malekith thing.

Related to that is my stance around special characters, which is... sort of mixed really. I'm ok with them having their own rules, and if someone wants to use one in a game then I don't really have that much of a problem with it, but I generally prefer not to use them myself. The truth is I really just dont care about the big named characters that much.

I've always approached the Warhammer (and 40k too, for that matter) setting as a sandbox, an open canvas to explore and engage with how I see fit. When I see a narrative hook in an army book or BRB, instead of wondering how it's going to be handled or where it's going to go next, my first and only reaction is "Challenge accepted!" Malagor is up to something no good in the forests of The Empire? Time to stop him before it's too late. Undead massing on the borders of Bretonnia? Sounds like a job for my heroes. An Elven princess has been captured and every attempt to rescue her so far has failed? That's because none of the previous attempts were done by my armies, I'll get her back safe and sound. Game on!

In this context, the named special characters are the equivalent to NPCs in an RPG - a set of big names to give your characters quests or special items and to pinion around, and occasionally appear as a powerful enemy to defeat, but not the main focus of things - that is what your guys and girls are.

Unfortunately it has recently come to my attention that this is the wrong attitude, and that I am wrong to have it.

So basically what I'm saying is that I'm OK with special characters existing, but they're never going to be what gets me interested in a faction or inspires me to build an army. I will happily face them in battle though.
Death to metaplots!
Naked Metal - my very own hobby blog. Go on, give it a visit, don't be shy!

Just Tony
I see what you're getting at, and while I DO have my own characters that I've come up with and named for each army I've played, I'm still attracted to basically "becoming" one of the characters I've read about. One of the reasons I didn't jump on with DC Heroes Online was the fact I couldn't play as Nightwing. Sure, you could build up a pseudo-Nightwing, but that isn't the same. It's like those Mexican toys where they repaint wrestlers into superheroes. Sometimes I feel the need to BE Eltharion, and I'm lucky I get that chance.

On the other hand, my brother DETESTS the thought of special characters or appendix lists in a tournament setting, but is fine in casual gaming.

elendor
Something that I find troublesome sometimes is finding a reason why the big guys would attend a battle as small as 2000/2500 points ^^
That is partly why I mentioned 3000 points, it feels more realistic that special characters would be involved in a big battle.
But I am totally fine if somebody tells me they want to use special characters, their rules usually bring something interesting, although as I said expensive characters tend to warp the game around them too much for 2000/2500 (I have the same issue with Great Daemons to be honest).

I prefer to create my own characters and armies' background, but when I started playing WFB (I was 13) I absolutely loved special characters and their stories, and I own Tyrion, Teclis and Eltharion (6ed models) because they are awesome (eventually my friends asked me not to field Teclis though Grin ).
I wanted to buy Imrik too but I was a broke teenager so in the end I didn't get the Dragon guy.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox