· Newest Member: QMarcoPoloXTR
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » 6th Edition
 Print Thread
Gathering the Troops
Geep
This thread's a bit of a strange one- as the clock no doubt ticks down on the existence of the current Warhammer models, I've been slowly gathering a few armies so that one day I may get to play some form of Fantasy again. Feel free to comment, drool, or do whatever takes your fancy- there's not really much intended point to this show-off Pfft

I've put the thread here as I prefer 6th/7th ed, and will probably make my own heavily modified version of it at some point (feel free to shift the thread though).

The aim of my collecting is mainly to provide choice, and 'basic' units, rather than having any particular tactical considerations in mind. Unit size may also not be ideal, though I prefer having more small units.

Currently I'm gathering High Elves, with the planned final list of:
20 Spearmen, full command
20 Archers, full command
20 Lothern Seaguard, full command
20 Swordmasters, full command
20 Phoenix Guard, full command (I still need 10)
20 White Lions, full command (I still need 10)
5 Ellyrian Reavers, champion
5 Ellyrian Reavers, champion
10 Silver Helms, full command
5 Dragon Princes, full command
10 Shadow Warriors, full command
10 Sisters of Averlorn, full command (Don't have these yet, also I know they're not in 6th)
1 Tyrannoc Chariot
1 Lion Chariot
2 Bolt Throwers
A few Great Eagles will be available from my Wood Elves

Characters include:
At least 3 mounted Heroes (one BSB )
At least 3 Heroes on foot (one BSB )
At least 2 Mages on foot
At least one mounted Mage
One Hero on Griffon
One Hero on Dragon
(most characters are still being collected)

I'm not a fan of the flying chariot, and am not too impressed by the Phoenix, so they're currently off the list. Some choices are dictated by what's easily available- like the Ellyrian Reavers from the old starter box.

My Empire list has:
20 Halberdiers, full command
20 Spearmen, full command
20 Swordsmen, full command
20 Greatswords, full command
20 Crossbowmen, (probably full command)
20 Handgunners, (probably full command)
20 Knights- probably 5 each of Reiksguard, Panther, Blazing Sun and White Wolf. I probably won't give the Reiksguard a command, so I can have a 'generic' unit of 10 with command.
5 Pistoliers
5 Outriders
2 Cannons
1 Mortar
1 Helblaster
1 Helstorm (? rocket launcher)
1 Steam Tank

I don't have many characters at all yet, but will aim for a mix, as with the High Elves.

I'll probably add 20 Flagellants, though I don't like them that much, and 10 Huntsmen. I'd like to add Militia, though they're hard to come by. I don't mind the War Wagon, though am not a fan of the Luminark. I'm also undecided on which Griffon to get- there's no good reason for the Empire one to be so much bigger than the High Elf one.
I'll opportunistically add Dogs of War too- I have 10 Braganza's Besigers, and would like Pikemen.
Edited by TinyLegions on 28-03-2017 21:17

TinyLegions
FIFY - For some reason the BSB did not come out right. I am doing the same thing with a few armies as well.
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

Just Tony
That's a pretty good start, and I'm starting from scratch with more than a few armies myself. I'm actually thinking about doing what could be the funniest thing with my old pewter High Elf models as I replace them with plastics. I have a friend with a smelter and a 1 oz. fishing sinker mold, and I want to post a video smelting the models on youtube as a "how to convert pewter miniatures" video. The responses alone would be worth it. That, and having a TON of sinkers when I get to go fishing again.

I'm shooting for a few themes with what I'm aiming to buy. My Empire army will be based off of Morgan Bernhardt's Grudgebringers from Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Geep
I've also been gathering Chaos and Lizardmen, but unfortunately AoS overtook them before I could make workable armies. Fortunately most of their model ranges survived- I just hate the need to buy bases separately (and the increased costs that AoS brought).
I also bought a second hand Skaven army, but it's missing most of my favourite things- which also happen to be the most expensive models (Jezzails, weapon teams and the like).

Unfortunately I won't be able to show any kind of painting progress- at least not for a long time. I'm building these forces while at uni, storing the units at my parent's place until I'm out of here and have permanent accommodation again. I intend to use an airbrush to paint quickly- which would be new for me- but I have none of that stuff with me.

Just Tony
I will probably have to ebay most of what I want. I have a few local stores that are still sitting on some boxed sets. Might even have a few Battalions and Battleforces at a few of them. Have to get a budget first, AND send $15.50 to snyggy...
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Geep
I've been acquiring more models for my growing armies, but am encountering a slight snag as more and more models come with round bases

Can anyone tell me if the base list given in the appendix of this is right:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhnqy7qxwy080aa/WarhammerCE-LRB-v1.04.pdf?dl=0

I'm not trying to advertise this fan re-make, but I'm also not going to cut out their work for its appendix- that seems too rude.

In particular right now I'm interested in knowing the base size of an Empire Pegasus and Screamers of Tzeentch.

A few of my models I'm purposefully giving unusual bases to- for example, it seems odd to me that a Dragon Ogre Shaggoth is on a 50x50mm base, when a common Dragon Ogre gets a 50x75mm base- so I'm giving them all 50x75mms.

Just Tony
Both of those came on 40mm bases

TinyLegions
Geep wrote:

I've been acquiring more models for my growing armies, but am encountering a slight snag as more and more models come with round bases

Can anyone tell me if the base list given in the appendix of this is right:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhnqy7qxwy080aa/WarhammerCE-LRB-v1.04.pdf?dl=0

I'm not trying to advertise this fan re-make, but I'm also not going to cut out their work for its appendix- that seems too rude.

In particular right now I'm interested in knowing the base size of an Empire Pegasus and Screamers of Tzeentch.

A few of my models I'm purposefully giving unusual bases to- for example, it seems odd to me that a Dragon Ogre Shaggoth is on a 50x50mm base, when a common Dragon Ogre gets a 50x75mm base- so I'm giving them all 50x75mms.

I am having the same problem with the bases as well. I really do wish that Gales Force 9 did not get out of the square base business. Now I need to figure out how they did it. No doubt that it is online somewhere.
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

Geep
I've started on a Vampire Counts army now, which will probably be my final new Fantasy army.

I managed to get a good deal on the 3 different undead 'start collecting' boxes, which is great- but amusingly means I have almost no core troops! I much prefer the old battalions.

Can anyone tell me the base sizes for:
Spirit Hosts (I think 40mm?)
Crypt Horrors/ Varghulfs (I think 40mm)
a Mortis Engine
a Terrorgheist
and the Mortarchs (characters on big floating monster, from the End Times releases)
Thanks

Can anyone give advice on a good 6th/7th style VC army, ideally ~2000pts?
My current thoughts include:
25 Skeletons with hw/shield
25 skeletons with spear/shield
30 zombies
(I will have a spare of 10 each for the above, for raising)

2x 15-20 Ghouls (I preferred these as skirmishers, I need to check the rules editions for when this was the case)
2x 10 Black Knights
20 Grave Guard

Hopefully that's good for the main units, and other things can be added to taste.

Just Tony
That looks pretty impressive as it is, not much I would change excpet for finding a way to get Bat Swarms in. I run Swarms in any army that can have Swarms. Also a fan of Fell Bats. Fast flying unit that can peck a flank or war machine really nice.

Geep
I intend to eventually have at least a small unit of everything, which should include bat swarms and spirit swarms.

I found an example army in the 7th ed book, and it is amazingly tiny. Granted nearly 1/4 of its points are taken up by a single unit of Blood Knights...
I have memories of large hordes of undead- but maybe that was 8th, or maybe that was just in comparison to my tiny elf force?

Just Tony
Eh, I'm more inspired by the appendix armies from the 6th Ed. Vampire Counts book. If memory serves, that book is up on our sticky in Warhammer General Discussion. The one that says "I hope I don't get banned..."

Geep
I have the 6th, 7th and 8th books to look at already Smile

I was considering adding skeleton bowmen and skeleton light cavalry to the VC list- it'd allow end-times-like forces, and also themed forces in the one book.
(In case it's not obvious, I'm slowly planning my own home-brew 6th-ed style)

Just Tony
Oh, Ghouls were indeed Skirmishers in 6th.

Geep
So... I have problems with restraint, and with those problems comes a Dwarf army.

Combining two BfSP sets with a few other bits, I'm looking at:

25 Dwarf Warriors with hand weapons, shields and full command
25 Dwarf Warriors with great weapons and full command*
12 Thunderers with full command
12 Thunderers with full command
12 Quarellers with full command*
10 Ironbreakers*
2 Cannons
1 Organ Gun*

And a smattering of Dwarf characters- mostly BfSP Thanes, some White Dwarf models (including the carried White Dwarf) and the newer plastic Lord on oathstone.

Those marked with an asterisk (*) may still be altered, but I like the added variety even if they aren't the best choices.

Eventually I'd like to add
10 Ironbreakers with full command
20 Longbeards (undecided on weapons)
20 Hammerers
1-2 Gyrocopters (older models, not the plastic one)
1 Grudge Thrower
2 Bolt Throwers
1 Flame Cannon
Maybe 10 Irondrakes, but they don't do much for me as a concept

Runesmiths, a slayer character and an engineer or two would also help.

A slayer unit would be cool, but GW have already discontinued so many of the above models that much of this will probably never happen. Where I have found OOP units, prices are crazy.

I'm not too experienced with Dwarfs- my usual encounters involved my Orcs and Goblins self-imploding while Dwarfs watched on. I don't know what really makes them tick as an army.

Just Tony
My personal opinion? Dwarves are going to be charged, there is no way around this. Build your units around that premise. Sure, you have high toughness, but you need the armor save to sweeten the deal. Your shooting units and war machines aren't there to wipe out units, they are there to strip CR from units, and to get those 1/8" shuffler players moving. You actually WANT charged, believe it or not, so the Ironbreakers and the Shield and Hand Weapon Warriors are the way to go.

Now, staggered between them and a few inches back from the main line would be your Great Weapon regiments. Now I need to add a caveat: I only give Great Weapons to the units that have to take them in the first place. That gives you a VERY survivable front line with flankers where you need them, and any player can figure out quickly where you'll need the most help.

Also I feel that there isn't a time where a Crossbow is better than a Handgun. So, for me personally, the only unit in my army with Crossbows would be my Rangers.

Lastly, a Dogs of War Cavalry regiment wouldn't be a bad idea. With all the Donkey Carts from BfSP floating around, it shouldn't take long to get a unit built. Just use Standard Bearer arms to make Lances on your riders, and you'll be good. Come up with a fluffy story about how your hold's younglings are made to ride cav until they can swing an axe proper, and that's that.

Tiny is our resident Thane, so I'd make sure to try to get him to respond to this, even if it is to refute what I've typed.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.