· Newest Member: Sherpa1016
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » 6th Edition
 Print Thread
Fast Cav, yea or nay?
Just Tony
So after the last stellar battle report with my brother, we discussed next game trying to use stuff we have that never sees play, like my chariots and scouting skirmishers and such, and I realized that I have had 2 5-man units of Ellyrian Reavers for over a decade and never run them. Mainly I don't see their output as justifying their cost, and the fact that they never get rank bonus also kills it for me. Sure, the shooting could be nice, if it wasn't 5 shots with damn near max modifiers. On the plus side, they do negate ranks.

What is your opinion on Fast Cav? And do you think other units may be a better use?
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Geep
Fast Cav are brilliant, but you need to stop thinking of them as a combat unit. Their value is in annoyance and board control.
Use them to:
-Block march moves
-Threaten lone weak characters/weapon teams/similar
- Slow down the enemy by charge baiting (encourage a mid-range charge, then flee, so the enemy only moves their usual move distance instead of a full march- and, of course, you may be in a position to charge in your turn)
-Deny lateral movement (be close to the side of his units, outside the charge arc, to make any cramped unit situation even worse)

If they can get a rank-breaking flank charge then that is handy, but depending on the enemy they may cost you more than they give if used this way!

Well used fast cav are extremely frustrating to face.

They are very vulnerable though- you need to be confident that you have shooting and/or magic superiority, or they can disappear in a flash (literally, sometimes).

Just Tony
That's my point, I guess in the risk/reward side of it I'd rather have another 20 man infantry block, especially with my High Elves. I'll probably at least try them out to see if I can make use of them, but I'm not confident.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Geep
Lizardmen aren't a great target for fast cavalry, as the skinks can make short work of them (360 degree line of sight does wonders there), and Lizardmen war engines aren't very soft (though you should still go fairly well on a charge against a Salamander).

The problem with taking too many block units is that it can be hard to actually use them all (especially in larger games). Fast cav are a unit which makes those infantry (and other) blocks you have more effective, without occupying your own table space.

If you want fast cav to work against Lizardmen you'll need to focus your archery on the skinks of one flank, so the cavalry are free to get in there and disrupt things. If you manage that your opponent will either need to slow all of his Saurus blocks down (to the speed of the march blocked units), or do a disordered attack (as some units reach your lines before others). You need to make the most of that disorder, being willing to flank and break the lead units right in the face his slower units, relying on overruns or reforms to keep your block infantry from being flanked in return. Lizardmen are a bit resistant here too, with possibly stubborn troops and Cold-Blooded.

Just Tony
Eagles also make great march blockers, and as long as they don't get pincushioned by Skinks they function admirably at it. Plus I can get two GE for 1 Rare slot and 100 pts, seems like a better deal to me than Reavers.

foggynight81
I took 2 units of 10 dark riders for the DE vs Mortals game, I lost the game but the maneuverability and shooting caused all kinds of havoc to the enemy. Anything small died to sheer amount of shots. One unit got charged last turn and died horribly. Would of been a closer game if my knights didn't whiff on the charge.
My Hellblaster's catastrophic explosion is always counted as a successful kill.

Just Tony
Yeah, there's a difference between the shots put out by Dark Riders and the shots put out by Reavers.

The_Worker
I've always liked the thematic nature of a small Dark Elf force comprised entirely of Dark Riders (and maybe some Shades) to represent the scouting element of a Black Ark raiding force. Maybe 1,000 or 2,000 points worth as part of a larger army.

Primarily used as extremely mobile missile units; avoiding combat unless you can get a join rear/flank charge off, that sort of thing.

Mind you it's all academic really as I've not yet done it...
SF&F Wargames Blog - The Week's Work
Historical Wargames Blog - The Molgravian Gazette
Poetry and Writing Facebook

theweekswork.blogspot.co.uk
Just Tony
Nor been on the receiving end of it, I'd wager. Still get chills thinking about those games...

The_Worker
I always struggled against Fast Cav with my Undead, usually ended up throwing Dire Wolves or Bat Swarms at them, or trying to raise Zombie or Skeleton units in front of them. Damn hard to do though.

Just Tony
It's just that when it's a whole army you have no choice but to deal with them. I could ignore a unit or two in an army, but when it's a whole army of them, I have to either spend FAR too much time reforming to get into a better position, or get led around in circles if I don't have enough shooting. The only saving grace is that I usually run about a third shooting in my High Elves army, and the shooting is good enough that I'm not outranged.

The_Worker
Yeh, that's kind of the point with the Dark Rider force. It's quite small though; I think about two seven-strong units and three six-strong with attached heroes. I can't remember if I put Shades in it or not; I think the last time I wrote the list I did but I can never decide if it fits the background, because horses travel faster than people (even Druchii) on foot.

Just Tony
Small? Those models are cheap as hell points wise, especially for what they are capable of. AND they were Core when most (not all, I realize) armies had their Fast Cav firmly parked in the Special slot.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.