· Newest Member: krabboten
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer 40K » 3rd Edition
 Print Thread
Tau Question
Just Tony
So I am starting what looks to be a 3rd Ed. 40K club at my armory, plus some possible add ons from the area, and I was thinking about starting a Tau force for myself and for one of the less financially viable members of my unit. However I ran into an impasse: I would really love to throw a unit of Pirranah in there, but I don't think that Tau book hit in 3rd, and I'm trying to keep everything as fair across the board as possible so I don't want 4th Ed. creep in there. So yeah, that means 3.5 Chaos.

Does anyone have a link or something that tells when that book came out vs. 4th?
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Kakapo42
The Piranha squadron was introduced in mainstream 40k by the 4th edition Tau codex, which was released in 2006 (I remember because it was my first year of Intermediate School).

However, depending on how flexible your club is with Forgeworld rules, the Piranhas and Skyray both had rules for 3rd edition 40k in Imperial Armour Volume III: The Taros Campaign, as both units started out life as Forgeworld models before migrating to mainstream 40k as plastic kits.
Death to metaplots!
Naked Metal - my very own hobby blog. Go on, give it a visit, don't be shy!

Just Tony
How close were the Forgeworld rules compared to the 4th Ed. codex? My club is rather modular, so we may make concessions. Especially since the first Tau codex was lacking...
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

Kakapo42
Pretty close - after a quick comparison I can't find any differences between the 4th edition codex and Forgeworld rules for the Piranha, except that the Forgeworld rules let them take target locks and the 4th edition codex rules don't.

The Skyray (if you're interested in fielding one) is a little bit different, as the Forgeworld rules include provisions for using it as an AA vehicle (for 30 points you can give its seeker missiles and markerlights an AA mount, and it can fire any number of seeker missiles at a marked aircraft, but they hit on a 4+ rather than 2+). Aside from that they're pretty much the same from what I can tell.
Death to metaplots!
Naked Metal - my very own hobby blog. Go on, give it a visit, don't be shy!

Just Tony
So basically I am gonna have to sweet talk my club into condoning the 4th Ed. book. That, or an amalgam of the two. Once I get the OG 3rd Ed. book again I can compare stats and points and see if everything jives.

HidaSeku
Imperial Armour: Volume III is still in the style and "feel" of 3rd edition points and rules, so I wouldn't hesistate to include the stats from there.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.