· Newest Member: MattyFenby
Welcome
Welcome to Classic Hammer
View Thread
Classic Hammer » Warhammer Fantasy » 6th Edition
 Print Thread
Backwards/forwards compatibility
Just Tony
Over at that OTHER place, someone was prying for thoughts on putting a Varghulf or however you spell it in a 6th Edition list. Got me thinking about some of the stuff that was either phased out when Ravening Hordes got upgraded to army books, or stuff that didn't get introduced until 7th or later. What are your thoughts about those sort of things? I understand there is nothing stopping one from houseruling when at home, but what about a possible standard voted on in here? Maybe even playtested. Granted, we're a touch understaffed for such things, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

What say you?
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

TinyLegions
As usual JT I can count on you to start the conversation. As far as compatibility goes, we used to have Special Characters that were used in the 4th/5th revamped for the 6th at one time. Some of them are in the Chronicles somewhere as optional rules, so that is something doable as is right now. Concerning the new Special Characters from the 7th, I would think that play testing would be something of a requirement and a house rule or two would be appropriate.

In general I am not fond of special character due to the lack of imagination that they lead to. Honestly though, my take on this is whatever floats your boat. It is a game after all.
Your Benevolent dictator

My Miniatures Blog http://www.tinyle...gspot.com/

sotek222
I say backwards compatibility is fine as long as it is play tested, and house ruled so that they are fair.

Thanks,
Matthew Masiello
"Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier.

"Only after you have kissed the fleeting stead of death, wretch!" returned Grignr.

Just Tony
That actually sounds great, I think I'm going to research trying to find a good way to represent Gors in 6th. I think the Herd rules were bad to say the least, and I'd love to be able to field the 60 Halberd Gors I have without forcing them to be Bestigors and running a Beast Herd just to make it legal.
Father, soldier, musician, Transformers fan, masochistic junior moderator type thing.

snyggejygge
Ravening Hordes allows them to wield halberds, with T4 & at 7 points each they´d be a useful unit.

Just Tony
That was my first inclination, and it'll probably be the way we run it this weekend if I get a game in.

Geep
I see no problem with adding things from newer/previous editions. I really like the look of some of the newer big monsters, so I want my Orcs and Goblins to be able to have an Arachnarok spider, for instance. For Chaos- especially Daemons- they had so much cut from their Hordes book that I'd like to be able to use. I'm amazed that Fiends of Slaanesh never made it into 6th- not even in the Storm of Chaos list! (though Fiend stats happen to be nearly identical to the Daemonette on worm stats)

Points values seem pretty simple to work out for basic units- just compare to similar units in the same/other armies and you won't be far wrong.

For the big monsters I think they need a slight price increase over (for example) their 8th edition versions, but the core rules for them are mostly fine. When you consider that 'Thunderstomp' and the like will be lost they're not too bad.

For special characters, I'm actually surprised how relatively little these guys tend to change over the editions. With the recent Nagash re-release I looked at his old rules, and they're nearly identical (given core rule changes). Moving them about between editions shouldn't be too large an issue.

Just Tony
Wait, so Nagash is basically the same statwise as before? I didn't really dive into 8th at all, so I didn't have a chance to read profiles. Did the Greater Daemons return to 5th Ed. power stats as well to be comparable?

Geep
It's a little off topic, but for comparison:

4th ed Nagash (ie. 'When we last left our evil villain...'Wink
Cost 750 pts
6 7 7 7 7 7 6 6 10
4+ ward save, and 4+ to ignore spells that don't cause wounds
+1 S in close combat. Wounds caused by Nagash in close combat may heal Nagash
Magic level 5
May store up to 4 magic cards (which is a lot!)
He may recast necromantic spells as often as he wants each turn (including recasting the same spell)- so long as he has the power.
Immune to psychology and causes Terror.

End Times Nagash (8th ed)
Cost 1000pts
6 7 7 7 7 7 6 6 10
4+ armour save and 4+ ward save
+1 S in close combat, deals D3 wounds. Can gain Heroic Killing Blow.
Magic Level 5, but knows 9 spells
May store up to 4 power dice each turn (expended if he wants the Heroic Killing Blow)
Large Target, Terror, Undead
(He also has 'Arch-Necromancer' and 'Death Magic Incarnate', but I don't know what they do)

I'll look into the daemons later

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
Shoutbox