Bringing more 7th Edition Units into 6th Edition

mattyfenby

Bringing more 7th Edition Units into 6th Edition

Post by mattyfenby »

When my buddy and I were trying to decide the best way to bring Forest Goblin Spider Riderz into our 6th Edition battles, I remember the people here having some great feedback and I am pretty sure we ended up following the advice of some of you. We were going back and forth on using the statline they have in the back of their 6th Edition Army Book in the variant lists section, simply porting their 7th Edition entry into the 6th Book, or adapting them manually in some way. Eventually, we settled on starting with 6th Edition Wolf Boyz, changing the mount's M value from 9 to 7, giving them the Wall-Crawlerz rule as written in 7th Edition, and giving them the option of upgrading to Poisoned Attacks (spiders only) for +2 pts/model. This has felt so good over the past two years that we have at times forgotten that that entry is not actually in the 6th Edition Book.

We have had some other success with this when it comes to the High Elves, bringing the Dragon Mage of Caledor and the Lion Chariot of Chrace into our battles. For those, we made the following determinations:

DRAGON MAGE OF CALEDOR: Speed of Asuryan is lost. Valour of Ages becomes Stoic. Warrior Mage and Reckless both work exactly as written in 7th Edition. He uses the 6th Edition Lore of Fire. The Dragon Mage uses a 6th Edition Mage’s stat line. The unit’s cost is 350 (100 Mage 250 Dragon for VP). The Mount is a Sun Dragon exactly as written in 7th Edition. The Sun Dragon also occupies a Hero slot.

LION CHARIOT OF CHRACE: Uses the same statline as the Dark Elf Cold One Chariot (S5 T5 W4, Armour Save 4+, Chariot), with the following changes: It does not start with Scythed Wheels (They may be purchased for +10 Pts). It is pulled by 2 War Lions (M7, WS4, S4, I4, A1, Cause Fear). It is crewed by 2 White Lions armed with great axes. Speed of Asuryan is lost. Valour of Ages becomes Stoic. The model costs 115 Points and occupies a Special Slot. Lion Cloaks DO NOT confer any bonus against missile fire and have no effect on the model’s armour save.

I was hoping we could turn to you guys for some wisdom once again. I have a few Vampire Counts units now that are from 7th Edition and I would like to bring them into the fold without breaking the game. I have gotten my hands on a Corpse Cart, a Varghulf, and a unit of Cairn Wraiths.

Do any of you guys have experience using these units in 6th Edition? If so, did you buff or nerf any statlines, change any costs, or tweak any rules?
Just Tony

Re: Bringing more 7th Edition Units into 6th Edition

Post by Just Tony »

Chrace chariot from the COC is what I was going to try