Starting another army...

Just Tony

Starting another army...

Post by Just Tony »

So I managed to score a Tomb Kings battalion that was missing a chariot for $65. To add to it my brother scored me these scorpions from a gamer in our classichammer club. Now I launch into the arduous task of trying to find tons of those Warhammer Quest spiders so I could do Tomb Swarms that I'm happy with.

IMG_20240512_165444.jpg
IMG_20240512_165444.jpg (611.99 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
Alarantalara

Re: Starting another army...

Post by Alarantalara »

I take it you're not interested in all the 6th edition model rereleases that GW has been doing recently then, since they're offering single units for what you paid for a battalion.
Just Tony

Post by Just Tony »

Everyday.I have to talk myself out of buying that big release box they did for Tomb Kings and try to flip that stupid Croco Dragon or turn it into a Zombie Dragon. The main issue is the price which I can't justify paying for that box set, especially given that I'll have to find different size bases for pretty much everything.
Alarantalara

Post by Alarantalara »

Well......... the cavalry and chariots come with the right base. That just leaves 73 infantry.

More seriously, most of the larger things kept the same base size. Carrion, bone giants, anything on a chariot or skeleton horse, ushabti, the casket, and tomb swarms (though that's a new model) are all the same. I'd mention the catapult, but it has crew. In addition to making it possible to get some of the harder to find things, it's nice that it puts a cap on maximum price secondhand—I recently found but did not buy one of the dark elf battle standard bearers at my local store (looks like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/335204982855 but was missing the base); I couldn't justify $80 for a single infantry model when I've yet to even consider such a character in any list I've made.
Just Tony

Post by Just Tony »

I have a pipe dream of chasing down every single one of those limited edition standard bears from sixth edition but I was chased off by the after market prices. I get to stick with the two that I still have.
Kakapo42

Post by Kakapo42 »

Just Tony wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:16 am Everyday.I have to talk myself out of buying that big release box they did for Tomb Kings and try to flip that stupid Croco Dragon or turn it into a Zombie Dragon. The main issue is the price which I can't justify paying for that box set, especially given that I'll have to find different size bases for pretty much everything.
Oh hey samesies! I've had my eye on two of the big Tomb King starter boxes since pretty much day 1 of TOW, and may very well get a couple in the not too distant future. They are expensive yes, but selling off the characters and their crocodragons would subsidise the cost somewhat, and more importantly two of them together would provide me with pretty much all the Tomb King plastics I would ever need, leaving just the 6th edition metals for me to hunt down.

I'm looking at the upcoming Dwarf box for TOW too for similar reasons, since it comes with the same infantry figures as the 2010 Battalion box and I can fleece off the WOW copters to cushion the expense, making it an interesting alternative to hunting down second-hand 2010 Battalion boxes.

It does still leave me with the problem of finding a supply of 20mm square bases that match the ones I already have however. And at any rate I have a bunch of real life expenses to get through before I'm in any position for more model acquisitions, and even then first priority is going to some more Bretonnian Knights (now available in convenient 12 packs for a full unit out of the box!) and some Grail and Questing Knights, which even with NuGW pricing and NZAU markups still come out to a third less than ebay prices for them. :o
Please stop calling it "Middlehammer"

TinyLegions
Site Admin

Post by TinyLegions »

The problem that I am seeing for a lot of the TOW units is that it seems that they took a look at the "Buy It Now" price on eBay and figured that is what they should charge.
Your Benevolent Dictator

The random musings of TinyLegions: https://tinylegions.blogspot.com/